ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752795 Members
6123 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPE ProLiant DL320e Gen8 v2 micro server fans

adamgoodapp

HPE ProLiant DL320e Gen8 v2 micro server fans

I'm having some trouble with the server fans being very noisy.

Currently they are running at:

Fan 1: 31%
Fan 2: 31%

Fan 3: 50%

I have a NVME installed on PCIE port 2 and running 1 western digital HDD and 1 original HP hdd.

I switched off the RAID controller as I have no need for RAID and currently running it in AHCI mode so I'm able to run Ubuntu.

I have updated the BIOS firmware and iLO firmware to the latest versions. Drivers for the Storage controllers are for Linux with rpm packages but can't install these with my Ubuntu setup. How can I update the firmware via ilo?

Is there a way I can install these drivers? I have seen other users comment this has solved their fan noise.

I think I will also replace fan 3 with a Noctua NF-A4x20 5V PWM.

2 REPLIES 2
Anu_K
HPE Pro

Re: HPE ProLiant DL320e Gen8 v2 micro server fans

Hello adamgoodapp,

There is an option to update BIOS and iLO firmware using iLO web interface which you've updated already but I don't think you can install drivers using iLO of this server.

I found below document which has few standard troubleshooting guidelines for fan related issues, this might help you to fix the issue: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-c02916392

Note: "While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company."

I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

SanjeevGoyal
HPE Pro

Re: HPE ProLiant DL320e Gen8 v2 micro server fans

Hello,

I would suggest you remove the non-HPE hard disk from the server and observe server fan noise.

I hope noise issue will resolve after remove the non-HPE hard disk.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below and accept the solution.
Regards,

I am a HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo