New Discussion юеВ

HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 RAM config

SOLVED
Go to solution
hpeforumusergwm
Visitor

HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 RAM config

Hello,

I have a question regarding our planned memory configuration for our 2 HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 servers.

I already read the technical white paper "Server memory and persistent memory population rules for HPE Gen10 servers with Intel Xeon Scalable processors technical white paper", even though I don't fully understand it, e.g. why is the 10 DIMMs population order on page 6 an unbalanced order, using the channels 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12?

Anyways, these would be our memory config with HPE SmartMemory RDIMMs:

Server 1:

First row is memory slot number per CPU, second row is memory size. They are all dual rank and same speed, only difference is size (either 16GB or 32GB).

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

16GB / 16GB 16GB 16GB 16GB 16GB 32GB 16GB 32GB / 32GB

Server 2:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

16GB 16GB 32GB 16GB 32GB 16GB 16GB 32GB 16GB 32GB 16GB 32GB

Would you recommend our setup? (Please note: we cant really change the total configured memory size of our two servers as shown above. They need to keep the same total memory size as shown above).

Best regards and thanks in advance!

8 REPLIES 8
sgunelius
Trusted Contributor

Re: HPE ProLiant DL380 Gen10 RAM config

I'm pretty sure that with the new Gen10s, an optimal memory configuration for single processor was to populate 6 DIMM slots, 1 for each memory channel and with two processors, you'd populate 6 for each processor, 12 total.  If you have access to the DL380 Gen10 QuickSpecs, take a look at the Memory section near the bottom for population order.

I've also attached a link to HPE's "Server memory and persistent memory population rules for HPE Gen10 servers with Intel Xeon Scalable processors technical white paper".

https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/a00017079enw?jumpid=in_lit-psnow-red 

hpeforumusergwm
Visitor

Hello sgunelius,

thanks a lot for your reply!

Well, when I look at the attached document, it appears to me that on page 6 it suggests that we can very well populate all 12 memory slots per CPU?

We have both CPU slots per server populated. So that should give us 24 memory slots in total per server (12 per CPU).

So I was wondering if our population plan suggested above per CPU is recommended, or if we should move the memory around, e.g. instead of having the 32GB in the first server in slots 8, 10, 12, that we should have them in slots 2, 4, 6. (or any other configuration).

Thanks again for your help!

Bunsol
HPE Pro

Since these will be your HPE Smart Memory Dimms please refer to the below link:-

https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/a00017079enw?jumpId=in_psnow_258c5066-a92b-4707-99a2-5dacb253fbd1_gaiw

Page 20 and refer to FIGURE 13. Mixing HPE SmartMemory 32 GB and 16 GB DIMMs.

This gives the idea of how 16GB and 32GB Smart Memory dimms should be configured. Hope this helps.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
hpeforumusergwm
Visitor

Thanks Bunsol for your reply!

To me it looks like that the FIGURE 13 on page 20 is for mixed rank memory? Like when you mix Single rank and Dual rank? Or does the FIGURE 13 also go for same rank memory? Because we only have Dual rank memory. The only difference between our memory is the size (16GB and 32GB).

Best regards

Bunsol
HPE Pro
Solution

It is possible to use 16GB Dimms and 32 GB Dimms together but that depends on the rank, type and speed. Please refer to the quickspecs of the server:-

https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/a00008180enw.pdf?jumpid=in_pdp-psnow-qs

Please do follow the processor model as speed depends on model of processor and dimms installed per channel.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! Thumbs below!
I am an HPE employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]
Accept or Kudo
Antonio_UCDB
Visitor

I have the server with these memory settings 32gb dual rank in slots 1, 3, 5 and 8, 10, 12. But in the BIOS it appears that there are 192GB (usable 160GB). Why that?

Sunitha_Mod

Hello @Antonio_UCDB

Thank you for posting! Since you have posted in an old topic and there is no response yet, I would recommend you to create a new topic using the create "New Discussion" button, so the experts can check and help you further. 

Thanks,
Sunitha G
I'm an HPE employee.
Accept or Kudo
Mahadevghanwat
Occasional Visitor

hi

my server dl 380 gen 10 so plz suport mi 32 gb 8 qty ram install how to dimm