5977 Online
108787 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPE Proliant DL580 Gen9

Sherjeel
Visitor

HPE Proliant DL580 Gen9

Dears,

Recently my company has bought HPE Proliant DL580 Gen9 server and I have been assiged task to load operatin system on it. The server has no internal / external DVD drive with it. So I attached USB DVD ROM with the server. I used bootable DVD and managed to boot from it. However after selecting language of installaltion, installer asks to locate the installation media (Local CD/DVD ROM, Hard Driver, NFS or URL). When I select local CD/DVD ROM it says installation media not found. I am trying to load Rock Cluster 6.2 on the server. Please assist me how to rectify this issue. 

8 REPLIES 8
SumeetK
HPE Pro

Hello Sherjeel,

It appears you are trying to do assisted installation via Intelligent provisiong. I would suggest you to boot from the Rock Cluster 6.2 (CentOS) Media directly and proceed with installation. Intelligent provisioning supports only listed OS.

I am HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

denis_b
HPE Pro

Hello @Sherjeel

Actually using external DVD is rather old fashioned method. And rather slow, because of DVD speed.

If you see OS installator running, so I have no idea why it's not seeing external DVD.

I'd recommend you to use some alternative way to install OS:

1. Most used - creating bootable USB with OS image

2. Mount ISO to iLo Virtual Media

Please, let me know if installation successsful. 

I am HPE Employee
Best regards,
Denis

Accept or Kudo

Sherjeel
Visitor

Dear SumeetK,

Thanks a lot for your prompt response. Since I am very new to this server so it would be great if you can tell me how that I can disable Intelligent provisiong and boot Rock Cluster 6.2 directly. I was already trying to install it.

Sherjeel
Visitor

Dear Denis,

Much appreciated your quick reply. Can you please direct me to some tutorial for 2nd option i.e. Mount ISO to iLo Virtual Media.  

Thanks

Sharjeel

SumeetK
HPE Pro

Please find below the : 

***Steps for performing local install using physical DVD-ROM***

I believe you would be like to configure RAID on the installed drive(s) on this server. Hence you need to start with configuraiton of RAID before performing the installation.

1-Reboot the server and Press F10 ( this will launch Intelligent Provisioning)
2-Refer from page #8 in http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04419967-8.pdf to setup preferences.
3-Once done, go to HPE Smart Storage Administrator and refer from page # 44 in http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04419967-8.pdf and create the desired RAID configuration with installed drives.
4-Make sure to select Bootable logical drive under HP SSA > Selected Controller > Set Bootable logical volumes.
5-Exit and reboot the server.
6-Make sure DVDROM is connected with physical media inserted
7-Press F11 for one time boot menu and select boot from CD ROM
8-Wait for installation to start and follow the on-screen instruction for Operating System

-----------

***Steps for performing installation using ILO Virtual Media***

Pre-requisite : Make sure you have working network cable connected to dedicated ILO port of the server.

Imp Note : ILO remote console requires advance license which should be purchase separately. Your screen may disapper once the OS installation reaches its second stage of launching Operating System GUI/CLI interface. A trial license can be requested on https://www.hpe.com/in/en/resources/integrated-systems/ilo-advanced-trial.html

1-Reboot the server and Press F10 ( this will launch Intelligent Provisioning)
2-Refer from page #8 in http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04419967-8.pdf to setup preferences.
3-Once done, go to ILO configuration utility and refer page # 50 http://h20628.www2.hp.com/km-ext/kmcsdirect/emr_na-c04419967-8.pdf
4-Assign the IP address for ILO, save and exit.
5-Ping the assigned IP address from your machine on the same network.
6-Once respone received, type the IP address in your browser and it will open the ILO web adminstration.
7-Navigate to the Remote Console→Remote Console page and click launch. ( More details can be found on https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03334051 page # 217)
8-This will launch remote console.
9-Reboot the server and repeat the above steps from 1 to 5 for RAID configuraton.
10-Navigate to Virtual Media on remote console > Mount the ISO image of Rock Cluster 6.2 (aka Cent OS base) under CD/DVD ROM ISO IMAGE
11-Reboot the server and Press F11 for one time boot menu and select boot from CD ROM/ILO Virtual CD ROM (as listed)
12-Wait for installation to start and follow the on-screen instruction for Operating System

You may refer below User Guide for getting more information about HPE Server Provisioning and Management tools :

Intelligent Provisioning User Guide : https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c04419967

ILO4 User Guide : https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=c03334051

I am HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

denis_b
HPE Pro

@SherjeelI see that detailed instructions were sent below. Just avoid installation via Intelligent Provisioning. You have to install OS directly.

I am HPE Employee
Best regards,
Denis

Accept or Kudo

Sherjeel
Visitor

Dear SumeetK,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. 

I think it seems that I couldn't able to state my problem. Let me try again.

I have no problem in booting the server via USB optical DVD ROM(via Legacy BIOS mode) with installation media (Windows 2012 Server, Oracle Linux 6.6 and Rocks 6.2). All of these operating system gives different behaviour. Windows 2012 server installed successfully but after reboot server never gives any display. Oracle Linux 6.6 also got installed error free but after first reboot 'Kernel Panic' message displayed and OS doesn't load. When I boot from Rocks 6.2 DVD, installer started, it asks for language you like to use during installation so I selected 'English'. Next it asls for keyboard type and I select 'US'. Finally it asks What type of media contains the installation image (options are Local CD/DVD, hard disk, NFS directory or URL).  When I select local CD/DVD it says "The Rocks disc was not found in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Rocks disc and press OK to retry".

When server reboots, keys are shown as [F9] --> System Utilities [F10] --> Disabled [F11] --> Disabled [F12] --> Disabled. The server has BIOS U17 v2.42 (04/05/2017). 

Seems that only specified operating systems can be installed on this server. Is there anything like this?

I will try installation via iLO tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

Sherjeel
Visitor

Thank you so much SumeetK for your detailed and continued support. I think it seems that I am unable to clearly state my problem. Let me try again.

On my Gen9 server I am successfully able to boot from OS installation (only in Legacy BIOS mode) media via USB optical DVDROM. I have tried to install following operating system on it.

1. Windows 2012 Server
    Server booted with its installation media and installtaion completes successfully. However when it asks for reboot. Server never gives any display after reboot.
  2. Oracle Linux 6.6 (x86_64)
    Its installation also went successful but after first reboot, it gives "Kernel Panic" and OS never loads
  3. Rocks 6.2 (x86_64)
    Server boots from its installation media, after asking for language of installation and keyboad type, it asks "What type of media contains the installation image". It gives following four options;
    1. Local CD/DVD
    2. Hard Drive
    3. NFS Directory
    4. URL

I selected "Local CD/DVD", after a while it says The Rocks disc was not found in any of your CDROM drives. Please insert the Rocks disc and press OK to retry. It seems only specific OS versions are supported. This server has BIOS U17 v2.42 (04l/05/2017).

One more thing when server is booting all keys are shown as disabled except System utilities F9.