Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HPSIM and ESX 3.5i

Darryl Elwin
Occasional Visitor

HPSIM and ESX 3.5i

Hi all.
I'm sure this must have been asked many time already, but I've sent 4 hours searching and reading and haven't found any answer that is even close.

I have serveral DL380G5 servers running HP intergrated VMWare Esx 3.5i.

I have stand alone server running HP SIM 5.3.
The HP SIM detects the ESXi server and the VM's, but if I pull a drive on one of the array's I get no notification of the faliure.

How do you get notified about hardware failures when running ESXi?
5 REPLIES
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Re: HPSIM and ESX 3.5i

Hi Darryl,

Have you configured SNMP on the ESXi server? Check this document for help:

http://www.vmware.com/files/pdf/vmware_esxi_management_wp.pdf

"ESXi ships with an SNMP management agent different from the one that runs in the service console of ESX 3. Currently, the ESXi SNMP agent supports only SNMP traps, not gets. SNMP write operations are not supported by ESXi. This agent is off by default. To use this agent, you must enable the SNMP service, specify at least one community, and configure a trap destination using the remote command line command vicfg- snmp."

Good luck!
Darryl Elwin
Occasional Visitor

Hi all.
I have enabled SNMP on my ESX 3.5i server, but there is still no info about the array and the failed drive.
HPSIM reports the following info about the server, which I think indicates HPSIM is talking to ESX 3.5i via SNMP

System Type Server
System Subtype HP ProLiant, x86 System, VMware ESX Host, Virtual Machine Host, Embedded
Product Model ProLiant DL380 G5
Hardware Description ESX1
OS Name VMware ESX Server 3i 3.5.0 build-153875
OS Type Hypervisor
OS Version 3.5.0
OS Description #1 SMP Release build-153875 Mar 13 2009 17:29:00
Management Protocols WBEM:1.0

Clicking on health status provides information on Fans, Memory, Power and CPUâ s.
Do I have to install some sort of agent into ESX 3.5i to be able to report on events from a P400 array controller?

Darryl Elwin
Occasional Visitor

I've just been reading the HP DOC
"HP VMware ESXi management environment"

This document tend to indicat there is no support for notification of array failures.

Surly this can't be right.

Do I have to tell my clients that once a day someone needs to go into the server room and check the drive lights for a failure?

David Claypool
Honored Contributor

VMware ESXi was designed for high density data centers where the boot was a flash device (USB key or now with ProLiant G6 an SD card) and the data was on the SAN. We based the ProLiant WBEM Providers that are integrated with ESXi on that fact.

Since many people have deployed ESXi now outside of that model (with local storage), ESXi 3.5 Update 4 now has been enhanced with local storage providers.
Billy Somers
Occasional Visitor

Does this also apply to the newly release ESXi4 HP install? We have installed it but not not seem to get any disk information at all.