ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748117 Members
3813 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HPSUM 6.2.0 CLI bugs on Linux: no return codes, and /silent /romonly does not work

Mark Ostroski
Advisor

HPSUM 6.2.0 CLI bugs on Linux: no return codes, and /silent /romonly does not work

I am testing SPP 2014.02.0, which comes with the latest hpsum 6.2.0.  I have noticed the following problems which prevent successful use of the CLI to script firmware update installation:

• 'hpsum /silent /romonly'  does not identify the appropriate firmware updates to install on any servers that I've tested (DL380 G6/G7/Gen8).  I don't see anything helpful in the log files, but I see that if I run the hpsum GUI it does detect the updates.  The problem only affects the CLI.   I replaced v6.2.0 with v6.0.1 and it seems to work as expected.
  • Since v6.0.1 'hpsum' on Linux is now a shell script which runs the executable.  This script does not return the exit code upon completion.  The CLI documentation still includes specific information about the return codes, but now we can't get these when running 'hpsum'.  Seems like we would have to bypass the hpsum script and run x64/hpsum_bin_x64 directly. [ EDIT: hpsum_bin_x64 also does NOT return the exit codes.  Only way to get these is to parse the log files... an ugly solution]

I'm calling these "BUGS" because we've used 'hpsum /silent/romonly' successfully in our own scripts for several years now to apply firmware updates using a copy of the SPP on a network share.  Now it doesn't work, while according to the documentation it should work as expected.  For now I think we'll be okay with running v6.0.1 and wrapping a script around the x64/hpsum_bin_x64 executable... but these problems really should be fixed in a future release.

Is there a proper way to report such bugs to HP?

FYI we are running RHEL5/6 on our servers and we download the "RedHat Enterprise" version of the SPP.

2 REPLIES 2
Mark Ostroski
Advisor

Re: HPSUM 6.2.0 CLI bugs on Linux: no return codes, and /silent /romonly does not work

Are there any HP support reps who can comment?

For those of us who use the HPSUM CLI in our own scripts -- is there a proper way to get the return code from v6.X? Is this something that can be fixed in a future release?

Or is there a new/better way to script installation of firmware updates from the SPP?

666sa
Visitor

Hi,

Actually , I have opened case with HP for this issue, but they just sent me the PDF ...