3996 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

HPSUM crashes

Kick Vieleers
Occasional Advisor

HPSUM crashes

Hi,
We are using custom build baselines in VCRM.
These baselines all have a xml file in de VCRM share.
We now want to pull install the baseline to a Proliant DL380 G5 server.
On W2003 everything is working correctly.
We use setupc.exe \\use-location:<> <>.xml
The installation starts and progression can be followed on the screen.
The same also worked on a W2003x64 server.

However the method is not working on W2008x64.
Instead of the setupc.exe tool, we tried to use the HPsum tool directly. We can start the command, but at a certain moment we get the message that HP smart update manager stopped responding. After that we tried to start the GUI version of HPSUM. Specifying the location, inventory and host (local in this case) go correct. After the discovery process the tool stops responding. The same error appears.
We are using version 4.0.1. we also tried version 4.0.0 with no success.
If we don't specify the VCRM share as the location, but the unzipped PSP8.50 directory, the tool works correctly.
However, this is not our baseline.

Any information will be welcome.

greetings,

Kick
6 REPLIES 6
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Re: HPSUM crashes

Kick,
Can you zip up and attach the following files:

%TEMP%\hp_sum\OpMan.trace
%TEMP%\hp_sum\InventoryResults.xml

If after zipping these files the size is too large to attach to this item, please post your email address and I'll send you information on how to send this to me directly.

There appears to be a component in the VCRM that HPSUM doesn't support. Between the two files above, we should be able to detect what was occurring when it crashed.

Thanks,
Michael Garner
HPSUM Architect
Kick Vieleers
Occasional Advisor

Hi Michael

Here are the two files you requested.
I hope you can find something.

greetings,

Kick
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Kick,
Your problem is based on the fact that you are not populating the prerequisites section in your custom bundle XML files. In Windows 2008, we check to validate the architecture because some versions of Windows 2008 only work with 64-bit components. Without the information there, HPSUM is getting bad data and crashing. To fix this, you need to put a section similar to the following in each of your custom bundle XML files. You can look back at the HP supplied bundle XML files to get this section for each PSP. For Windows 2003, we do not need to check this so your custom bundles will work. For Windows 2008, they won't.

-
-
-
nt_x86-64
OEM

-
nt_x86-64
OEM

Also, be sure when you write your own XML files to follow XML standards. For instance, do not use any special characters (I didn't notice any, but am just warning about it) that are not in their XML format. An example would be the "&" as it would be "&" to be correct XML.

If you still see a crash after adding the above, I'll need to look at your bundle XML files you are using to see if there are any hidden characters that we are not processing correctly. Some editors (like Notepad) place special characters in files that can cause XML parsers problems.

Regards,
Michael
Kick Vieleers
Occasional Advisor

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the support.
However, i don't understand where to put the prerequisites section in the custom xml file.
Can you do this? I will attach the xml file, we use for a custom baseline (i have put the prerequisites section on the top)

Also, we created the custom xml with the VCRM tool. I expected the tool to add the section. Can you confirm this?

greetings,

Kick
Michael Garner_1
Honored Contributor

Kick,
I've updated the bundle XML file for the W2K8 x64 PSP with your data and tested it to ensure it worked. I've attached the updated XML file for you to use.

Regards,
Michael
Kick Vieleers
Occasional Advisor

Hi Michael,

HPSUM still crashes.
Here are the output files.

greetings,

Kick