1748180 Members
4058 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: HPSUM on Server 2008 Sticks at 0%

Chri5B
Occasional Advisor

HPSUM on Server 2008 Sticks at 0%

I've had this yesterday and today on two brand-new ML350 G6s.

Both are Windows Server 20008 R2 (though one actually is SBS 2011).   The servers are at different sites, so different networks, firewalls, ISPs and IP ranges.  I'm logged as a full admin on both servers.

You tell PSP / HPSUM to patch the components you've selected it never gets beyond 0% complete.  I left one server on this screen for around 17 hours and it's not moved beyond 0%.  HPSUM doesn't hang as you can exit gracefully.

On the SBS server:

Fresh from installing the OS (so no Windows Update), I've ran the PSP 9.10 / HPSUM 5.1 setup.exe.

I tell it to check for updates from hp.com and use the default repository (the PSP).  I give it permission to download 61 updates, which are now cached localy (so that is very quick).  I tell HPSUM to use the local host credentials and it goes off to self-discover the the server.

As a side-question at this point, why does HPSUM decide a component for the DL980 G7 is valid for a ML360 G6?  It fails the dependancy, so I have to deselect it.  If HPSUM knows the dependency is wrong, why does it select it?  I also get offered an ILO 100 firmware, another item which I don't believe is valid on a ML350 G6. JPEG attached to show both of these points..

As per the second JPEG, everything is ready so I tell it to update and it shows 38 mins 20 seconds.  I could come back in 8 hours and it will still show that.

The vanilla 2008 Server:

Out of frustration, I ran PSP 9.10 and didnt let it update from HP.com.  This patched the server with the bundled versions.

So I have re-run HPSUM and told it to update from HP.com.  Live the SBS server, it gets 61 updates and goes through self-discovery.  As shown in the SelectBundles.jpg, it sees most items are up-to-date and wants to update 6.  This server will then sit with an estimate 11 minutes 40 seconds left and not progress.

Any thoughts on why HPSUM doesn't want to update?

Thanks,

Chris.

5 REPLIES 5
Chri5B
Occasional Advisor

I've dug through the HPSUM folders on both servers and found a log file eg hpsum_execution_log_08-16-2012_14-34-33.raw

Looking at both, the last entries are:

Host localhost: Discovery complete
08162012-144254|08162012-144254|0|'IP:0.0.0.0'|0|2|Downloading component cp017738.exe from web for installation

Host localhost: Discovery complete
08162012-175209|08162012-175209|0|'IP:0.0.0.0'|0|2|Downloading component cp017738.exe from web for installation

cp017738.exe seems to relate to the ILO Firmware.

On the "plain" Server 2008 R2 build, I excluded that from the components to be installed and, hey-presto, HPSUM installed 6 updates and finished ready to be rebooted.

Re-running HPSUM and it gives three components.  The two odd balls I mentioned above and the ILO firmware (see JPEG).  I removed the two odd component leaving just the ILO and told HPSUM to update the server and it's now stuck at 0% - see second JPEG.

So, why is the ILO firmware breaking HPSUM?

Chris.

Chri5B
Occasional Advisor

Me again - just went to manually patch the ILO to 2.09 via the individual .exe I downloaded and that said it wasn't needed.  Checking via the ILO Online Config Utility shows the ILO is indeed on 2.09, so I'm not sure why HPSUM is trying to patch it.

I also ran HPSUM on the SBS ML350 and that has installed 23 updates now I've exluded the ILO firmware.  That server is also on 2.09.

Chris.

mark q
Regular Advisor

on my devices here I had problems with the support paq until I made sure the following was happening

dl1x servers - make sure snmp and the systems management driver are loaded before hpsum runs

dl3x-xxx servers - make sure snmp is running before running the support paq with firmware

here's the commandline that I use for all windows os's

start /w hpsum  /use_latest /allow_update_to_bundle /allow_non_bundle_components /f /s

This does the inventory and forces the installation, since hp software is known for being buggy on the install / detect at least in my experience.

The ilo thing makes sense if snmp isn't running.

You can check this with using the smartstart scripting toolkit to check the hardware and what's actually being detected on the device.

Chri5B
Occasional Advisor

Thanks Mark.

I install SNMP (and configure Public / Private traps) before running the PSP.

Will have to find time to look at the scripting to see what it detects.

mark q
Regular Advisor

hopefully it will fix the issues.

Good luck