ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753855 Members
7252 Online
108808 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hangs during install - Probing Serial Ports... (PS2)

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hangs during install - Probing Serial Ports... (PS2)

OK, this has been 4 days of total frustration, my Proliant has be reboot more in these 4 days then the past year combined. I've tried about everything that I can think of, here is an overview.

I ran SmartStart 5.20 and did system erase, ran manual config, selected Linux as the operating system.

The install starts and get to Stage 2, then hangs on Probing Serial Ports
After much trial and error I've determined this to be my PS2 port that is really the issue. If I disconnect my mouse, (I've tried 4 diffrent types including standard Microsoft PS/2 Mouse) and if I connect a serial mouse to the box it starts up and runs fine. I found 1 other post through searching google that showed 2 other people having the same issue, but with Mandrake 8.0 not 8.1. The original post wrote back that he solved his issues by updating the bios. I was at P07 11/08/2000, which is what the Smart Start 5.20 shows as the latest. I did some further digging and noticed there are a couple past this, 4.14b I believe is 07/??/2001 so I updated to this thinking that maybe I'd found something, but nope. Right now the box is going through the install with the serial mouse connected but I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. It has been very frustrating.
Joe
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Hangs during install - Probing Serial Ports... (PS2)

I think I've resolved this, but not sure at least it is up and running -
I opened up the server, understand that this server has run Windows2000 Server for 3 weeks straight. I pulled all the Dimms and reseated into different locations, I swapped the CPUs. At this point I noticed that the left power module was very loose so I reset that as well (actually I don't know how it was working). After doing this I restarted my Mandrake install and all is well. If I have anything more to add I will do so.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Hangs during install - Probing Serial Ports... (PS2)

I am having the same problems on several different 1850R servers while installing Mandrake 8.1 . I have yet to get around it. I had some success with doing an expert install with the noauto flag but that left me with X unable to use the video card. I've already spent almost a week trying to solve this problem to no avail and it's starting to get VERY irritating. I'll give the serial mouse thing a work and see if it makes a difference. The things that I have tried so far....

1. Update BIOS
2. Update Config Utilities
3. Disable/Enable Serial Ports
4. Disable/Enable Management Fuctions (The ones that are built-in)
5. Swapping/Removing Memory
6. Swapping/Removing Processors
7. Swapping/Removing VRM's
8. Swapping/Removing HD's.
9. Using 2.2 boot disk
10. Building custom boot disk with 2.4.14 kernel
11. Banging my head on the keyboard. :)

I would appreciate ANY help at all.
Thx.