6334 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hard Disc Problem in DL380

SOLVED
Go to solution

Hard Disc Problem in DL380

Hi,

I have a DL380 G1, P3x800 dual processor, I have a 18.2Gb and 147Gb SCSI (both Compaq/HP manufac.)

I have also installed a IDE Controller PCI card and have a 140Gb IDE Maxtor drive. I have setup Redhat 8 without problems on the 18.2Gb SCSI.

I have formatted both the big drives IDE/SCSI and mounted them successfully and have been able to copy things onto them from the network.

I originally copied about 50Gb of data over the network to the 147Gb Scsi with no incident.

When I came to move a large chunk of this data from the SCSI to the IDE drive, things went wrong. Most of it copied without a problem, but then the machine froze, the 147Gb SCSI should the red faulty disc light and the IDE light remained on. The machine eventually rebooted (ASR). The 147Gb SCSI then showed up with no error reported.

I then md5sum a large file on the IDE and these caused the server to lock up again and eventually reboot.

What could be the problem?

Sorry for the lengthy description, I would very much appreciate any advice.

PS In case relevant, I also get a warning message at boot up:
casm: Corrected Memory Error threshold exceeded (System Memory, Memory Module 1)
13 REPLIES 13
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi William

I would get that module fixed, or temporarily remove it and try again ... if it works get the memory fixed.

My gut feel though is fixing the memory will fix it.

HTH
Regards
Gerhard

Thank you I will try that, since then something weird happened. I booted SmartStart and went into the Update System Config, this said it found new PCI (the ATA IDE Card) and then it saved them etc. When reboot, the machine wouldn't do anything (just flashing cursor) when it got to the point that said F1 to continue, F10 Syst partition, if I pressed F1 or F10 the screen went blank and the cursor flashed top left. I removed the IDE Card and it would boot again.

Could this be related to the memory error?
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

William

When the machine boots up go to the SCSI's cards interface ... by pressing F8 when prompted ( i think its F8 ). Then set the SCSI card as the boot device.

That should fix it.

If your drives is on a smartarray controller adapt this as appropriate.

Regards
Gerhard

Thanks for your help, I am going to try that. When the memory error messages says module1 does that mean slot1 or is module0 in slot1, I am trying to do the System partition diagnostics, but whenever I press F10 for system partition it boots to Linux (RH8), I tried to restore from the SmartStart CD but it still does the same.

Any ideas?

I've sorted the System partion issue, so now I'm running the diagnostics.

Well I have removed the memory, and re-inserted the IDE controller (which is a Maxtor ultra133tx2).

In system configuration it acknowledged the addition of the controller and saved settings but said the Smart array controller was the boot controller.

Upon reboot the system does as before i.e.doesn't boot, presumably becuase it is trying to boot from the IDE drive.

I tried the F8 for the Smart Array ut it only lets me create/edit/delete partions etc.

How can I make the Smart Array have a greater priority than the IDE Drive?
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Hi William

In the utility there is an option for "Set as boot controller"

HTH
Gerhard
Gerhard Roets
Esteemed Contributor

Hi William

Sorry was a lil silly there .. i thought of a different card :(

But i went and looked at an ML370 ( Physically ). You go into the bios f9 then to "Standard boot order (IPL)" and under there you can tweak it.

Sorry about the earlier mistake.

Regards
Gerhard

Hi,

I cant see anywhere about setting boot controller aside from in the System Config and this is setting the SCSI controller as the boot controller anyway.

It says:
Your boot controller has been set to:
Embedded...Compaq Integrted Smart Array Controller

So no luck there I'm afraid.