cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard disk orientation

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hard disk orientation

I recently built a Novell Intranet Netware server prior to the delivery of the rack that the ML370 was going to be installed in. As a consequence the server had the software installed with the unit standing on its side, and therefore the disks were in a vertical orientation for 3 days proir to the unit being installed in the rack. A colleague has now commented that he believes that the server should be left in the same state i.e. standing on its side as this is how the disks were when the software was installed.

Now my feelings would be that I could possibly agree with this had the server been left in that position for a longer time.

What is anybody's thoughts on this please.

Does the disk orientation at install time have any affect on the server if it is changed or is my colleague thinking about older technologies.

Also I should state that the server has been up and running for 2 weeks with no problems at all.

Regards
Phil Corby
1 REPLY
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Hard disk orientation

Compaq fully supports tower to rack conversion. The disk orientation at install time should not have any affect on the server if it is changed later. Besides, if any Compaq drive fails, it is covered under your warranty and all you have to do is give Technical Support a call for drive replacement. Just be sure to follow your disaster recovery procedures and do frequent backups. Note: I've got drives that I have been swapping out between the servers in my lab for years and I don't think that I have ever experienced a drive failure because of its orientation. Don't worry about this one.