Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hard disk replacement

alexdelgado
Occasional Advisor

Hard disk replacement

Hi,

I've just upgrade two hard disk on a proliant DL360. The old disks were 36 GB, and the new ones are 320Gb.

Now I have a volume of 36 Gb, and I'd like to expand it to 100 Gb, and create a new one with the rest.

After reading the manual of the Array 5i controller, the only doubt comes when allowing the operative system, Windows 2000, to recognise the expanded volume.

Does anybody wich steps should be done at operative system level once I have done all necessary steps on array controller configuration?

Thanks,

Alex.

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). - Hp forum moderator

6 REPLIES
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

Re: Hard disk replacement

The 36GB volume,is this your system partition on windows 2000 (C:|)? Or is this a data partition?

If the system partition you will need to use something like RDP, GHOST, volume manager or backup/restore operation to expand and it will be an offline task. If this is a data partition of some sort then you can do online via the MS diskpart utility.

*note your widnows 2000 OS needs to be at SP4 or you risk data loss. As always please be sure to get a full backup before performing any work
Harald_8
Occasional Advisor

Hello,

You also could try to translate your Disk into a dynamical Drive. Now you can expand it with Windows itself.

Other possibility. Create a new Partition. Don't assign a Drive Letter but let in Mount as a Directory beneath a existing Drive.

Greetings Harry

Ps, You have a FULL BACKUP?
Harald Haitsma
alexdelgado
Occasional Advisor

Hi Michael,

Both disk are part of a mirror, where the OS boot from.

This volume is a basic disk.

I understand, but not really sure, that boot disks/volume can't be expanded, can it?

If so, could you explain me how to do it?

Thanks

Alex.
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

Alex, Windows will not allow you, with native tools, to expand the system partition. You have to either use a 3rd party tool like ghost or volume manager to extend the system partition. Or you can rebuild the server and perform a backup/restore operation.

If the RAID1 set was split via the OS into 2 partitions (c:\ and D:\ as an example) you could expand D:\. You would simply allow the controller to perform its rebuild operation and then extend via ACU. After that you pull down diskpart.exe from MS and use it to select the data volume and extend.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

P.s. please be kind and assign points to everyone providing assistance.
alexdelgado
Occasional Advisor

Hi Michael,

Well, I think I will use a third party tool to expand the boot volume.

Is the only volume I have in the server, and is a mirror, and as explained previously, is the boot volume.

BTW, do you know if those tools need to be run from Windows OS, or do they run from a boot CD? In this case, run from a boot CD, does the application will see the mirrored volume?

Thanks to all,

Alex.
Mike Bollman_1
Respected Contributor

Alex, I know that the volume manager tool from symantec worked inside windows. However, it did have to reboot the box into a sort of dos shell to perform the actually data manipulation. Take note though it did take a while depending on how much data you wanted to move around.

P.s. be sure to have good backup before starting.