108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Hard drive not recognised

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hard drive not recognised

Hi there,

I recently aquired a Proliant 1600R.

I have a 9.1GB Wide Ultra 2 SCSI drive in a drive cage. When I insert the drive in the bottom slot (slot 0), and fire up the machine, it goes through its normal POST procedures etc, however, when it initialises the integrated SCSI controller... it comes up with an error saying something like "ID 0 FAILED" When I take the drive out, it says that there are no devices attached... which means that it is detecting a drive in there, but can't seem to initialise it.

When I change the drive into slot 1, it says "ID 1 FAILED".

I know for a fact that this hard drive is 100% fine and working correctly, because I tried it on a server at work and it works fine.

Now, when I try and use smart start, later when it is doing the hardware discovery etc, it says, no SCSI hard drives found, and it also mentions something about changing the IDs around on the controllers (because the 1600's have dual controllers apparently).

Does anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks very much,

Kent.
1 REPLY 1
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Re: Hard drive not recognised

make sure you dont have two array controllers in the system..if you do make sure the right one is the primary...check all cables for kinks of cuts..check scsi cable ends and connectors on drive and cage for bent pins...replace any of the above if questionable..check your scsi id isnt in conflict with another one if you have set one..with a hot plug drive you should set it at all..update your array controller and system to the latest rompaqs..hopefully something of the above will help
We are here for a good time, not a long time!