4269 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Hard long beep and red light at boot up attempt

Michel Berube
Occasional Advisor

Hard long beep and red light at boot up attempt

Hi,

I have a ML350 G4. It just crashed. Now when I try to boot up the server I have a red light on the front panel and a long 5+ seconds lowed beep. The beep stops for 1-2 seconds and it beeps again. The chassis fan is running at full speed and lowed.

Not boot and nothing on screen.

I reseated the power supplies, RAM and HD same issues.

Please help.

Mike
4 REPLIES 4
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

Hi Michel,

My first guess would be a processor issue. Check to see that the processor and PPM are correctly seated and try again. You may find this document helpful, beep codes start on page 112:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00300504/c00300504.pdf

Good luck!
Michel Berube
Occasional Advisor

This is where Iâ m at. I found out that the red light is the internal health led.

I opened up the case and reseated the CPU as mentioned above (TY by the way). But It did not solve the issue.

I noticed that when the hard long beep sounds, 2 little amber lights light up on RAM slots 1 and 2. Oddly I have only one 1Gb RAM chip in there. Why two amber lights out of 4 with only on slot populated??? Anyway I take out and re-seat the RAM chip testing it in every slot possible at each boot attempt. Same problem but I get different amber lights on the RAM slots. I found an old RAM chip with the same speed but only 128Mb just to see what would happen. No amber light on that slot at boot up but on the bellow slot stays amber. I take the 128Mb RAM out and install the same 1Gb RAM ship and bingo it boots up!!!!! Mystery!!!!

I was getting to think this was a bad RAM chip but it boots up know. Any clues someone?

Mike
WFHC-WI
Honored Contributor

From the ML350 G4 service guide here:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00218063/c00218063.pdf

Here are the conditions that can cause amber error lights for memory:
â ¢ DIMM in slot X has reached single-bit correctable error threshold.
â ¢ DIMM in slot X is in a pre-failure condition.
â ¢ DIMM in slot X is an unsupported type, but valid memory exists in another bank.

Also, from the product quickspecs here:
http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12009_na/12009_na.html#Memory

Using 1GB and 1 128MB DIMM is not supported:
"The HP ProLiant ML350 G4 requires memory interleaving when more than one DIMM is installed. For interleaving, DIMMs must be populated in identical pairs. The system will not boot properly if multiple DIMMs of varying density or type are installed in the system."

It is possible that the memory module is in a pre-failure state. I would suggest replacement of the module to ensure operation.

Good luck!
RHReyburn

I have a ML350 G4 - red interior health light is on.  All four memory lights are amber.  I replaced all four sdram cards and still have the same problem.  Any suggestions?