1753338 Members
4954 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HardDrives for proliant

ayayay
Visitor

HardDrives for proliant

Hi: can you point me into the right direction?  I have a proliant ML380G8 with W2k8R2 server installed.  

I have 8 SATA hard drives installed each one of them 300GB.

I have a RAID configuration of:

RAID 1 (ONE HARDDRIVE )  C:\Drive with 279 GB

RAID 5 (SEVEN HARDRIVES) D:\Drive with 1.4 TB.

I would like to add some more space on my D: drive but not sure how to configure them...   maybe 4 600 GB harddrives?

What's the process?

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Looking at your attached image, you have SAS drives, not SATA.

Your C drive isn't really RAID1, it only has one disk. If that disk fails you lose all the data on C drive.

If you have open slots, you can add more 300GB drives to the RAID 5 array and expand the array to use the extra space.

Another option is to replace the current 300GB disk with larger drives. This process takes time, as you have to replace each disk one by one and let the array rebuild after each disk replacement. Once you have all the drives replaced, you can then expand the array to use the extra space.

And finally, if you have the open slots, you can install the four 600GB disk you mention and create an additional array

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
ayayay
Visitor

Thanks for your comments.

I do not have any open slots, so I guess I will be using the one by one option you mention...

thanks!

ayayay
Visitor

Sorry, Raid 1 are two disks.

So I purchase a 600 GB HD, took out the 300 GB from Bay 3 and Wait for it to Rebuild?

http://imgur.com/iR8But7

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Refer to page 29 of this guide for more detail on upgrading to higher capacity drives. http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00572169.pdf

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!