108788 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Hardware Compat

Dragon2299
Occasional Advisor

Hardware Compat

HI

I have a HP Proliant ML370 G5 Server that I am building on

I wonder if the Intel Xeon X5492 Processor Works on this server or if I am limited to the X5470 Cpu

allso Can I Bios Raid 2X HP Smart Array P800  to A Raid 50?

8 REPLIES 8
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

This model was never sold with the X5492 processor (150 Watt). The X5470 was the highest power CPU (120 Watt) that the unit was sold to support. From what I can tell, the system ships with a 140W Voltage Regulator so you're likely to blow that by trying to use the X5492 processor. 

Also, the RAID controller itself cannot handle an array spanned across multiple controllers (2 x P800 in your example below). You'd have to configure a supported RAID set within each controller and you could consider spanning them at the OS layer. 

The Quickspecs can be found here https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04282493

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

Dragon2299
Occasional Advisor

AA Okej Thanks fore the info and allso is there a simple way to upgrade everything in the Server like Bios ILO and all that

HPSDMike
HPE Pro

Not really in a server that old (discontinued 9 years ago). The automatic update utilities (you'll find readily available) require an active support contract and cover newer generations of servers.  I think you'd spend less time just trying to grab a few of the individual updates (ILO, ROM BIOS, Array Controller) and running them manually. Some components may require entitlement (support contract) 

Try here https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/home/driverHome?sp4ts.oid=1121419 

I work for HPE. The comments in this post are my own and do not represent an official reply from the company. No warranty or guarantees of any kind are expressed in my reply.

Accept or Kudo

Dragon2299
Occasional Advisor

hmm okej. I did Find this FirmWare DVD

Don't now if it works

ooh and I have read up on the P800 and there is somthing bothering me It says

Given the increasing need for high performance and rapid capacity expansion, the HP Smart Array P800 Controller offers:

• Up to 12TB of external storage per PCI slot with 4 HP 50 Modular Smart Array enclosures and 40 x 300GB SFF SAS hard drives.

• Up to 57.6 TB of external storage per PCI slot with 8 HP 60 Modular Smart Array enclosures and 96 x 600GB 3.5" SAS hard drives.

• Up to 96 TB of external storage per PCI slot with 8 HP 60 Modular Smart Array enclosures and 96 x 1TB 3.5" SATA MDL hard drives.

• Up to 30 TB of external storage per PCI slot with 4 HP 70 Modular Smart Array enclosures and 100 x 300GB SFF SAS hard drives.

• Up to 25 TB of external storage per PCI slot with 4 HP 70 Modular Smart Array enclosures and 100 x 250GB SFF SATA ETY hard drives.

so If I understand this I can some how connect 4 HP MSA70 Enclosures to one card, ore am i wrong and if not how do you connect 4 of them?
HPSDMike
HPE Pro

I think you found the P800 quickspec doc, as it looks like you copied and pasted the text about the MSA. The MSA shelves noted there are external JBOD shelves holding 12 or 24/25 drives. You would daisy chain the shelves using external SAS cables up until the maximum number of physical drives that the controller can support. 

Accept or Kudo

Dragon2299
Occasional Advisor

well how meny drives can it take then if you use dual sas cablse to every encloser

it dose say in the msa info that it can use 100Disks

and yes I did copy the info from a HP Specpage

ooh and the Firmware dvd Works BTW.

I have found that the P800 can take 108 Disks. 100 External and 8 internal

But now when those Questions are don. One more Question have com to light. there is 3 small white connectors on the P800 card and I cant find what thay are fore. or if thay iven have a funktion

HPSDMike
HPE Pro

See if this user guide helps on page 14; I'm assuming you are talking about the actual SAS connectors themselves or perhaps your card doesn't have batteries or a cache module? If you want any type of decent performance out of this card it will need to have batteries and cache. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=1156910&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c01608507

Also, if you haven't seen this guide, it may be helpful. It talks about the Smart Array architecture and concepts. It's a bit old but should apply to your card. 

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=1156910&docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-c00687518

Accept or Kudo

Dragon2299
Occasional Advisor

Well those link can be help full, Thanks

however it is not the sas connectors. it's those small that I have marked in the photo

20180921_175257_2.jpg