New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hardware Migration from Raid 1+0 to Raid 5

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jiten Joshi
Advisor

Hardware Migration from Raid 1+0 to Raid 5

Hello,

I have ML370 G3 with two hard disks (raid 1+0) and smart array 6400 controller.

There is just 1gb left, so the alternative option will be to expand it. I do not see the migration option in ACU.

Please assist.

Thanks
8 REPLIES 8
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Have you added another disk?

Beware that you will have to expand the volume in your operating system as well.
TTr
Honored Contributor

Normally with all SA raid controllers, you have to have the BBWC installed to be able to do online raid changes.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/11587_div/11587_div.html
The 6400 quickspecs do not explicitly state this but it is the case with all newer SA controllers.

Do you have the BBWC installed and is it available (not failed)?
Jiten Joshi
Advisor

Yes I have added another disk...There is no BBWC installed.
TTr
Honored Contributor
Solution

As I said it is not clear if the online raid features are available without BBWC.

Now, you can NOT add *one* disk to a raid1 (or raid10) array group. raid1 and raid1+0 are defined on *pairs* of disks.

How many disks are in the current raid1+0 array?
Jiten Joshi
Advisor

Hi TTr,

currently there are two HDD's in raid 1+0..

Thanks
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

you have a mirror, to migrate to RAID 5 you need a controller cache module with the battery. is recommeded also that you have the controller firmware to the latest and have a valid back-up if something goes wrong.

if you have the previous, you need to insert the hard drive, open the ACU, first you need to expand the array, then you migrate to raid 5 and as last step, you need to use diskpart so windows can see the extra space
TTr
Honored Contributor

> currently there are two HDD's in raid 1+0..

You have a raid1 array. You can not add one disk to a raid1 array and you can not convert a raid1 to raid5 array. (a 2-disk raid5 array does not exist). Because raid1 (and raid10) deals with pairs the only way that you can convert to a 3-disk raid5 is the following.

1. Convert the current 2-disk raid1 array to raid0. (you will have no redundancy while in raid0).

2. Add the third disk to the disk raid0 array. This is allowed and now you will have a 3-disk raid0 array but still no redundancy.

3. Convert from raid0 to raid5.

Most likely you need the BBWC but you can verify this right away. Try the conversion in step 1, from raid1 to raid0. If it lets you, you are ok, if not, you definitely need the BBWC.
Jiten Joshi
Advisor

Thanks alot guys