ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753793 Members
7127 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hardware RAID is disabled via NVRAM Controller setting

Mark_Oelke

This message occurs when the controller is switched to a pseudo-HBA mode.  This mode is used in BCS systems and internally by the hard drive qualification team.  We never expect to see this mode enabled on ISS servers.

This mode is enabled/disabled by setting a flag in the controller's nvram.  This flag is modified by the EFI shell on BCS systems or some internal test tools.  SSACLI also has the (undocumented) ability to set/clear this state for Gen8 controllers, but not for G6/G7 systems.

Does anyone have a system currently stuck in this state?

Dan Silva

I just had a P411 show up in a DL580 G7 with this issue, and since I could not find any utility to set it back to RAID mode, I had to replace the controller.

If anyone knows of a utility that could be run from DOS or Linux (via any type of rescue boot media such as FreeDOS or Linux boot disk), that works on a ProLiant (similar to the saupdate EFI command on Integrity servers), this could avoid replacing what is theoretically a good, though misconfigured controller.

Dan 

waaronb
Respected Contributor

That's a little frightening to me, that an array controller could switch to HBA only mode for no apparent reason on a Proliant server.

I gather that some P4xx models are apparently used in integrity/superdome servers in HBA only mode, but how on Earth does someone get their controller messed up like that?

Now I've got something new to worry about every time I install a firmware update (like the disastrous "CCM" flash that broke Broadcom NICs recently).

Just to inform myself, I googled some info about the P41x controllers and HBA mode... sounds like if you're using the CLI you can do a:

saupdate get_mode <controller>

For example: 

saupdate get_mode all

or

saupdate get_mode p410i

Apparently that lists what mode the controllers are in, RAID or HBA.

To switch it, there's a command listed like:

saupdate set_mode <controller> <hba|raid> [-f]

For example this would change the mode for all p410i controllers to RAID:

saupdate set_mode p410i raid

(the -f will force it and not prompt the user to confirm)

Here's the kicker though... how does one send these CLI commands?  The doc I'm reading mentions doing it from the UEFI shell, which you're not going to have on a Proliant.

I'm guessing there's some utility out there then that does the same esential thing?  I don't see any similar option in the SSACLI, but apparently something is possible there with the right utility.

I do see that besides the UEFI partition method, the Integrity doc mentioned using an Offline Diagnostics CD.  I have no idea if that CD is available online or if you can only get it if you have a valid contract on a BCS model, but it could be worth investigating.  Might not boot on a Proliant even for all I know.

Hopefully HP addresses this publicly so people know what to do (like they did with that Broadcom NIC flash issue).

mshia

I know this is old but I hope for an answer

can you please tell me how can I get to the saupdate commands?

jack challen_1
Advisor

Just in case anyone finds this in the future, an acceptable answer is to get a supported version of Linux on there via whatever method (I installed to an SDcard), install ssacli, and run

ssacli ctrl all show

#and then, depending on where the controller is

ssacli ctrl slot=0 modify hbamode=off

# or maybe 

ssacli  ctrl slot=1 modify raidmode=on

Talanx
Visitor

At least on a Gen8, you can also boot from a spp (Service Pack for Proliant) ISO, choose the HPA Array GUI, and change from HBA mode back to Raid mode.