New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hardware RAID on Proliant 800

SOLVED
Go to solution
eran70
Frequent Advisor

Hardware RAID on Proliant 800

Hi,
We have old Proliant 800 server without SmartArray controller. Want to create RAID-1 for OS (windows 2000). Can we create hardware RAID-1 on this server using server onboard SCSI? Or only software RAID from windows 2000 available in such case?
Same question about new ML370 G4 without SmartArray.
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor
Solution

You definitely need a RAID controller to do hardware RAID. The onboard SCSI controller does not usually have RAID functionality, especially with Compaq/HP servers. Your options are software RAID or getting a Smart Array controller(or other RAID Controller), at least on the newer ML370G4. As for the Proliant 800, I am pretty sure the same is true, but have not touched an older Proliant in a long time and don't remember for sure.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Shameer.V.A
Respected Contributor

Hi,
If you have a smartArray Controller, you can create a RAID 1 array. you need to boot with array controller utility CD & follow the instruction..

If you want to use your onboard SCSI , then it will be a software RAID on windows 2000 server. This is not recommended, as CPU & I/O will be bottlenecked for RAID read/Write activity.

It is recommended to use hard ware RAID controller, which will have its own processor & memory for caching data buffers.

Hope these informations will help you..

Regards,

Shameer
.... See invisible, feel intangible and achieve impossible as everything is possible ....
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

Strongly suggest that you purchase Array Controllers.

OS RAID should be an absolute last resort. It will drain your CPU.
eran70
Frequent Advisor

Shameer,
I just see your post here
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=995603
Is it relevant for Proliant 800 or ML370 G3?
Shameer.V.A
Respected Contributor

Hi eran,
Yes that is the procedure to create an array on ML 370 with Adaptec RAID controller. For Any RAID controller, the procedure will be same. You can use the GUI for easy configuration.

Please find the attached document. From these you can conclude which RAID level you can go for by considering the performance/price/availability aspect.

Hope these informations will help you..

Regards

Shameer

.... See invisible, feel intangible and achieve impossible as everything is possible ....
eran70
Frequent Advisor

I completely confused now: in first answers in this thread peoples say "you need SmartArray to hardware RAID"
Now Shameer write "you can do RAID with Adaptec on ML370".
I am missing something?
Colin_29
Trusted Contributor

The standard storage controllers for the ML370G4 are:

Integrated Dual Channel Ultra320 SCSI (Smart Array 6402/128 controller standard on High Performance Ultra320 SCSI models. Smart Array P600/256 controller standard on Serial SCSI/ATA (SAS) models.)

It depends which model you have SCSI or SATA.
eran70
Frequent Advisor

Before close this thread - can somebody confirm these states:
1)There are no possibility to create hardware RAID with onboard SCSI controller in HP Proliants servers.
2)We can create hardware RAID only with HP SmartArray controller or 3-th party SCSI controller
3)Adaptec SCSI controller included in Proliant servers have HP BIOS and doesn't have possibility to hardware RAID.
Thanks.
Simon Setina
Advisor

1. No. Without RAID contoler, you can not configure HW raid.

2. Yes. I suggest SmartArray.

3. Yes. Adaptec SCSI controlers with HP firmware are not RAID contolers.