ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752666 Members
5462 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hardware Supports Windows 64-bit OS?

Rajasekhar Gundu
Honored Contributor

Hardware Supports Windows 64-bit OS?

Hi,

Currently we have Windows server 2003 (32-bit) installed on our servers with the following configuration.

HP ProLiant DL360 G6 16 Quad core Intel┬о Xeon┬о Processor X5570 2.93 GHz 8 MB L3 Cache

Now we are likely to have Windows 64-bit OS installed on this machines. Does anyone have installed Windows 64-bit OS on these machines & does they support.

What is the procedure to verify if any hardware supports 64-bit OS on it or not?

Thanks,
Raj

Regards,
Raj

Like this Post? Click Kudos! to show appreciation.
Is your issue addressed? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" against the post which helped you the most.
5 REPLIES 5
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Run the pre-installation compatibility wizard on 2008 R2. The base server on-board hardware will support it.

You do realize the installation from 32-bit to 64-bit is a clean install. You can't upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit. Verify all your software can run 64-bit. You will also want to up the memory to 32GB for 2008 64-bit.

Rajasekhar Gundu
Honored Contributor

Well,

I do not have access to run it & verify, so I am providing the hardware configuration if someone already knows about it.

HP ProLiant DL360 G6 16 Quad core Intel├В┬о Xeon├В┬о Processor X5570 2.93 GHz 8 MB L3 Cache

I already knew that this is not a OS upgrade & I am happy with 16 GB RAM.

Isn't there a way to know 64-bit compatibility by hardware information?

Regards,
Raj

Like this Post? Click Kudos! to show appreciation.
Is your issue addressed? Click "ACCEPT AS SOLUTION" against the post which helped you the most.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

Best way is have someone run the compatibility wizard. The on-board base server hardware will support it. Its your unknown add-on hardware in slots that you need to consider. You also want to check all your software for compatibility. 2003 Printer Manager needs to be uninstalled before the upgrade and recreated after. Upgrading a server can't be a guessing game. Do it correctly. You have to plan for full backups and verifications of data. Figure 1-2 days of downtime to reinstall a small server. You also have to do firmware and Option ROM upgrades on the server.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Any HP Proliant sold within the last 3-4 years will support x64 versions of Windows. To set your mind at ease you can look at the os compatibility matrix:

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/windows/index.html
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
RobertMcHenry
Advisor

One has to run the compatibilty SW to determine if a G6 can run a 64bit O/S? Hmm I have to think that responce over!

LOL