1753717 Members
4499 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Hardware assisted virtualization support

Rick Curtis_3
Advisor

Hardware assisted virtualization support

I am trying to determine whether or not the G4 series of DL380 servers meet the following spec:

x64 architectureтАУbased server with 2.8 GHz or faster processor clock speed and with hardware-assisted virtualization support enabled in the BIOS

Now...I don't think this is referring to Intel-VT. That term is used in another area of specs referring to another class of machine, so I don't think they would use a different terminolgy.

What I'm actually trying to determine is whether a G4 can serve as the SCVMM control server with the new Microsoft Server 2008 virtualization product.
6 REPLIES 6
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

under hardware assisted virtualisation they mean IVT, No-Execute Memory Protection and Hyper-Treading.
Officially Hyper-V is not supported,

Check for list of supported servers(p. 7) and how Hardware assisted install is enabled(p. 14) :

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01286554/c01286554.pdf?jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

You can however try. If the options are available in RBSU you should be able to do it.

I think the DL380 G4 fulfills the requirements, although not officially supported.

regards
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

now I saw you write about SCVMM, not Hyper-V, so the server support matrix is not helping
Rick Curtis_3
Advisor

Anybody else?
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi Rivk

you want to use hyper-V?

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
Rick Curtis_3
Advisor

I am trying to determine whether a G4 server will serve as the SCVMM station for a Hyper-V project. The G4 will not be the host, but I cannot get an answer as to whether a G4 can fulfill the requirements for the SCVMM.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

and basically this is the requirement for that
SCVMM control ?

"x64 architecture├в based server with 2.8 GHz or faster processor clock speed and with hardware-assisted virtualization support enabled in the BIOS"

since I can not find something to help me out

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!