Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware failure in connection with 3Com 3c805 NIC

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hardware failure in connection with 3Com 3c805 NIC

Hi,
I?ve following problem with one of our Compaq servers.
When I insert a 3Com 3c805 FDDI network card and install the driver provided from 3Com the server goes down short time after the first network transactions with error message below:

Critical Hardware failure detected
System halted
Please contact your Hardware Supplier

Therefore the NIC is working without of problems in a ProLiant 7000 and ProLiant 3000. I?ve tried both NICs from they other servers, I got the same error. All NICs (I?ve 5 pieces here) work together with the ProLiant 3000 and 7000 but not with the ProLiant1850R. The 3000 is also using NT 4.0 SP 5 and the 7000 is using NOVELL 5.1.
When I look at log entries at the 1850R I can see that the server is stopping because he got a NMI from the hardware. Below the log entry from the NT server.
27/12/00,15:19:24,SysMgmt,Error,None,4196,N/A,MKS_MAIL,The Compaq System Management Driver has detected that the system encountered a Non-Maskable Interrupt (NMI) during the previous Windows NT session. The NMI source was: PCI bus error, slot 0.

Has any body an idea what I can do?
I?ve tried all PCI slots, so it could not be the position inside the bus system.

Best regards,
Gilbert Waitz
Network Service Manager
SoftControl Co., Ltd.
1 REPLY
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Hardware failure in connection with 3Com 3c805 NIC

I have no reported issues with this card (actually - I have nothing at all right now). I do know that the newest drivers date from '97 so they are rather old.

Do you know what firmware the Proliant 1850R has installed now? Also, what version of System Configuration are you using with this?