New Discussion

Hd max and hpdsa driver

SOLVED
Go to solution
nerdalertdk
Occasional Advisor

Hd max and hpdsa driver

Hi

I got a few HP DL20 Gen 9, One running on sd card and two running with just one ssd in them.

New for what I'm doing (VM hosts) I don't need the featues of the hpdsa driver, but without it fan3 is running at +40% all the time.

I know it's becurse the hpdsa gives ilo access to the HD max sensor.

But i'm running debian and your "lastest" recemendation on that is just to use the buildt ind ahci driver (https://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/project/ubuntu-hpdsa/) 

Following you guidelines, I have to live with the fans running at 40% when they should be running at 6% and is almost silent 

what to do ?

NOTICE! The hpdsa driver is no longer being developed past the versions indicated. Do not upgrade the Ubuntu kernel or try to use this binary driver with Xenial. If you have a B-series Smart Array, it is advised to use the Linux md (software raid) driver, or upgrade to an H or P series hardware-based host bus adapter.

7 REPLIES 7
nerdalertdk
Occasional Advisor

Re: Hd max and hpdsa driver

Ohh and there is no drivers for CentOS Stream

Anu_K
HPE Pro

Hello,

I found this article related to the fan noise issue on DL20 Gen9 server : https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00003578en_us, you can give it a try and check if that fixes the issue.

Note: "While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company."
I am an HPE Employee

Accept or Kudo

nerdalertdk
Occasional Advisor

Hi

Yes, I have seen that page and its saying the same thing as me. ILO need the HD max sensor, the hd-max is an HDD/SSD sensor and is only visible for ILO when you run in “raid” mode ( which you tell us not to do on Debian/Ubuntu ) and you install the hpdsa driver

I’m using the Sd card slot to boot one of my servers so it doesn’t even have an disk in it, it’s really stupid I need an drive in it doing nothing but using power and I have to deal with an outdated driver
Sebasbin
HPE Pro

Hi,

I would suggest to go through below document and refer the resolution 

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00003578en_us

Note: While I am an HPE Employee, all of my comments (whether noted or not), are my own and are not any official representation of the company

Accept or Kudo

nerdalertdk
Occasional Advisor

Update firmware to latest version - done running latest spp

Enable HPE Dynamic Smart Array B140i
RAID controller from RBSU - is on

Use HPE certified PCI cards - yup

Install an HPE storage drive - kinda hard with no ssd in the server,
I do have two servers also dl20 gen9 that’s Uses hpe branded intel s3700 ssd

Does not help at all ILO still need the hpdsa driver to se hd-max sensor
sednai

a year later and still no support for 5+ kernels?

Is there any way to disable raid0 in the bios and have the same drive ahci being present at the OS level (until md is created)?

nerdalertdk
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Dude, i've gave up on HP support, ended up using a modden version of iLO that have access to the fan command (which by the way is in the firmware)

now i can SSH in to the ilo card and change the fan curve and have the HD-max, works wounderfull