Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hdd crash

Sen_6
Super Advisor

Hdd crash

Hi,
one of my Hdd which is running on hardware mirror crashed.
How can i make use of the secondary mirrored HDD to boot up my windows 2003 OS ?
thanks
8 REPLIES
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Re: Hdd crash

Err... press the power button to start the computer?

If it is a true hardware RAID, the RAID BIOS may display some messages like "disk X has failed: volume Y is working in degraded mode" but it should still work.

On a real hardware RAID, the OS might not even notice that the disk has failed until it loads the "management" driver of the RAID controller.

The RAID controller itself may light up some red or yellow warning LEDs in the server front panel (possibly even pointing out which disk has failed) and/or start beeping, but these actions are independent of the OS.

If the controller can't detect the disk as failed and keeps retrying it at boot, I'd pull the faulty disk and try booting without it.

If it does not work like this, the necessary actions are very likely hardware-dependent. So, what kind of computer and RAID controller you do have?
MK
Sen_6
Super Advisor

I tried pulling the faulty disk and try booting without it, it does not work. It says no operating system found.

I am using a DL360 server. What should i do next?
Sen_6
Super Advisor

any help? thanks
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

"No operating system found"???

That's a bit scary.
Possibilities:
1.) something has corrupted the secondary disk so it can't boot on its own.
2.) there might be something wrong with the RAID controller. It is rather uncommon, but it happens.
3.) there might have been a mistake in the RAID configuration. At the worst case, the secondary disk is empty because it's never been actually used.

Things to do:

- See if the RAID controller detects any logical disks. Basically it should be taking two physical disks and showing them to the OS as one logical disk (with mirroring). The RAID controller should display some messages at boot about the physical disks it detects and logical disks it's preparing to show to the OS. Do the messages look as they should?

- There should be a "recovery mode" on Windows 2003 installation disc (I haven't used w2003, but w2000 and XP both have it). Boot from the disc and see if the installation program recognizes the old installation and gives the option to recover it.

- Do you have another server which could take the disk as an extra data disk? You could use it to "look inside" the troubled disk using the good OS in the other server's normal disks.
MK
Sen_6
Super Advisor

i have noted down the exact error:
non-system disk or disk error
replace and strike any key when ready
Sen_6
Super Advisor

the RAID controller does not detect any logical disks
Sen_6
Super Advisor

some update:
when i run smartstart, it says that it cannot detect any logical drives or controller.

i suspect that the raid controller maybe faulty. How can i confirm this?
thanks
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

If SmartStart cannot detect the RAID controller, I think that's the confirmation you need.

If you have another server available (with a known good RAID controller), you could put the disk into that and see if it can detect logical drives. If so, that's a controller problem for sure.

MK