1752805 Members
5472 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Headless Server

PaulL_1
Occasional Contributor

Headless Server

Are currently setting up a Windows 2003 Server to be used as a Headless Server (no keyboard / mouse / monitor attached). According to all the documentation 2003 is fully supported in this mode of operation.

Have installed it on a HP DL380 G3 server. The problem is that if the server is booted up without the keyboard / mouse plugged in, when plugged in afterwards all that you get is the use of the keyboard and NO mouse.

Does anyone know of a way to make sure that both the keyboard and mouse are operational without them being plugged in while the server is being booted, like a reg key entry to always load the mouse driver.

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Martin Breidenbach
Honored Contributor

I don't know a direct solution but I think this should work with a USB mouse.
Dave_180
Valued Contributor

I've seen mouse/keyboard emmulators that plug into the server and have an output for a mouse/keyboard to be hooked up later in the event one is needed. I believe they are made by Belkin.
Steve_374

Try to add this entry in the registry:

Local_Machine\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters

Name: Headless (DWord)
Value: 1

It worked for me with PS2 mouse.

Steve
Dan Robinson_4
Regular Advisor

Bump for Good info from Steve

I just built a 385 G2 with 2003 SP1.
Build was done using nothing but the iLO (Remote Console and Virtual Media)

Started getting Service Control Manager error 7026 stating:
The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: i8042prt

Upon setting this "Headless" key as Steve mentions, problem went away completely on next boot.

Here is the 2003+ quick and dirty version:
REG ADD HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\i8042prt\Parameters /v Headless /t REG_DWORD /d 1

Thanks Steve!