ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748036 Members
4555 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Heatsink different - Celeron vs P4-D?

SOLVED
Go to solution

Heatsink different - Celeron vs P4-D?

We have some DL320 G4 machines with the standard Celeron 2.93 that we'd like to upgrade with the P4-D processors.

Is the heatsink used on the DL320 Celeron models the same as those used on those shipped with a P4 processor, or does HP use a larger heatsink for the P4's?
7 REPLIES 7
raadek
Honored Contributor

When you order the processor it will ship with the right heatsink.

Rgds
Don't panic! [THGTTG]

Please re-read the original post. We already have a bunch of DL320 servers with a Celeron installed. On a few servers that Celeron is inadequate.

We have a supply of P4-D processors on the shelf and would like to swap the Celeron on a couple of those machines for the P4-D 940 3.2 GHz-- the same CPU that HP offers as an option for the DL320.

What I wanted to know is, is the heatsink HP installs for the Celeron the same heatsink they ship on the P4 models.

On our Intel SR platforms the answer is Yes, one heatsink is used for all CPU options.

I need to know if this is also the case with the DL320 models.
raadek
Honored Contributor

I severely doubt that a non-HP CPU will work in ProLiant server.
Don't panic! [THGTTG]

May I ask why?

People said that back in the days of LPR Netservers, too, and there were tons of those machines online with non-HP processors.

I cannot imagine Intel packaging entirely different P4-D 920/930/940 models *just for* Hewlett Packard when the rest of the world uses standard CPUs.
Paul Laudenslager

Is there a part number for the heatsink for the Compaq DL320 G4 machine?

I recently purchased a DL320 G4 and the processor and memory was removed. I'm now in the need of a heatsink to complete this machine.

Thanks in advance for your time and consideration.

Paul Laudenslager
paul@virginia.com
540-854-5450
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Paul/Jeffrey,

There is only one part number for the heatsink on all models. Details on CPU replacement and part numbers is attached.

Please note these are HP Spare Part numbers not sales part numbers. You should be able to obtain these from partsurfer.

http://partsurfer.hp.com

I hope this helps.

Brian

Perfect answer... exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!