Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! CL1850 won't boot after adding 2nd processor

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Help! CL1850 won't boot after adding 2nd processor

Hi,

I have a working 2-node CL1850 (550 Mhz) system under Windows 2000 SP2. I recently bought the processor upgrade kit so I could upgrade each processor to SP2.

I added the second processor to each system. Processor is recognized by BIOS, and system boots OK, but processor is ignored by Windows because I have the MPS uniprocessor HAL.

I used device manager to "update driver" to the MPS multiprocessor HAL and rebooted. Now system hangs early in boot: I see the first (black) Windows boot screen, but system hangs as soon as 2nd (white and blue) boot screen appear. Progress bar on 2nd boot screen does not move at all before hang.

I have a 2nd little Windows 2000 partition on my boot disk for just such emergencies. I boot the 2nd copy of Windows, and I use it to replace the multiprocessor HAL and related files back to the uniprocessor versions per an article in the Microsoft KB. Now system boots again.

Maybe it's a system rom problem. System rom is already more up to date than version on floppy included with processor upgrade, but I download latest system rom (dated 4/2002) and install. Try again. Still hangs.

I recover again and think maybe I should reinstall Windows to be sure hardware is detected OK. So I run the windows 2000 setup and choose "upgrade to windows 2000" to do a re-install in place. Same problem. To undo this, I revert to saved copy of mirrored boot disk.

I saw an article about the 1850R that says you have to change the system configuration so APIC is set to "full table". I check and this is already set.

I'm out of ideas about how to make the 2nd processor work. Please help!
3 REPLIES
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Help! CL1850 won't boot after adding 2nd processor

Did you add another 550 MHz processor or was it a faster speed?

Thanks,
Doug
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Doug,

The new processor was also 550Mhz. We just plugged it (and the new power board) into the motherboard slot. We didn't flip any DIP switches on the motherboard or anything; it didn't seem like there was any requirement to do anything like that.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Did you upgrade the HAL from the base OS CD or from the SP2 binaries? You need to do it with the SP2 code.

Thanks,
Doug