1752301 Members
4592 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help - PSP8.20/8.25 Network VLAN Trunking problem

Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

Help - PSP8.20/8.25 Network VLAN Trunking problem

This is happening across all Proliants we have..
We're having an issue with VLAN trunking. This is broken and in our opinion has been since 8.20

We are Cisco switch standardized. What we usually do is have our Cisco switch ports trunked, and a native VLAN of x.x.92.x
This way, the system boots and gets a 92 vlan number, which is our dedicated ILO number.
Once the system is online and imaged, we team the nics and assign a VLAN 80-90 (x.x.80.x - x.x.90.x)

If you take the team, and assign VLAN 82, for example, it still uses the default, VLAN 92.

The only way to get around this is to let the team be on the default... then add another route, which enables another team.
Go into networking properties, disable the v92 team, and let the v82 team run.

For years, it never required this to be done.
It's problematic now.

Anyone know what's going on? Is this the way it's going to work now? Or is something wrong w/ the software? It worked fine for years, up to and including 8.15
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're doing well to get VLANs working at all Brian,

There seems to be a definite problem with last 2 versions of the PSP and VLANs. When installed, our machines just do not tx/rx packets on a VLAN. We had to roll back to PSP 8.11 (we are trying to standardise on this version for now).

Hopefully HP will have this sorted in PSP 8.3
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

Brian, Im not sure about which NCU version is included on which PSP version but I can tell you about an issue I saw before.

When you are using VLAN taqgging on the NCU, the first VLAN you create will be selected as native by default

On NCU version 9.40 and any version before that, the native vlan will send/receive tagged traffic only, which means that the NCU Native VLAN must be different than the Cisco trunk native VLAN or you must intruct the switch to tag the native vlan.

On NCU 9.50 and any other version newer than that, the NCU Native VLAN will send and receive untagged traffic, meaning that it must match the native vlan defined on the switch trunk. If you have any question let me know.

Lmm
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

Ben,
I wouldn't say we're lucky to get it working at all... We've been doing this for YEARS.. literally. No issues.

Lmm-
We are seeing this work "correctly" on PSP 8.15, which uses NCU 9.35.0.9

We are seeing this work "incorrectly" on PSP 8.20 and above. One installation is 9.65.0.9

Therefore your explanation seems to fit.
So... is this a bug, or a new way of doing things? I really prefer it the other way... for obvious reasons, for years, it has REALLY worked out great for us.
I'm curious as to how to address this now, outside of having a disabled team and an active team.

You seem to be onto something, I would appreciate some more information.

Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

Ben,
Thats the way it works now, as it was working fine for you, there was some other people who was expecting the NCU native VLAN to behave as Cisco Native VLAN (Where all the untagged traffic goes).

As for your configuration, there are different ways of getting this config to work. As an example, you create VLAN 92 as Native on the NCU and then add VLAN 80 to 90, the the switchport config must match the NCU configuration

Switchport mode trunk
Switchport trunk allowed 80-90,92
Switchport native vlan 92

.Lmm
Brian Hahne
Regular Advisor

So, we have VLAN92 as the native right now.
We already allow vlans 80-92 on the ports.

So for NCU 9.5 and above, a team has to exist that matches the native VLAN on the switch?

I'm missing the point of why this is updated to be this way. One of the great things about the NCU was my Cisco folks could deploy 10 switches, all as trunk ports in our racks. Then we didn't have to re-contact networking to configure ports, once hooking up servers. We just knew we could put the servers on any viable VLAN, just by adjusting the NCU.

If the VLAN function is removed and is dependent on the switch port, what's the point of allowing the server to dictate the VLAN?
Lmm_1
Honored Contributor

VLAN function still the same, the only difference is the Native VLAN behavior, it must be the same on the NCU and the Switch if you want to use it. If vlans 80-91 are allowed on the switch as non-native, you can add any of those on the NCU and use it without any problem.