1748149 Members
3578 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Help Upgrading Server

LMIOperations
Occasional Advisor

Help Upgrading Server

We have a brand new DL380 Gen9 server (PN: 777338-S01) that came with both CPU sockets populated (each has a E5-2640 v3 2.60GHz CPU), two sticks of RAM (one for each CPU for a total of 16GB / PN: 774170-001), both PSU slots populated (each is a 500W PSU / PN: 720478-B21), the included RAID card is a "smart array P440ar" and there are 8 empty SFF hard drive bays. This server is capable of having 24 SFF hard drives, so we'd like to find out what parts we need in order to make this happen.

The 8 empty drive bay cage/board on the end has two long flat light blue cables connected, and they connect to "PORT 1" and "PORT 2" on the motherboard (which appears to be the onboard raid controller; P440ar).

When expanding this server, should I build it out so that all 24 drive bays are on the same controller, and if so, do I need to buy a separate controller, or can the existing P440ar control everything?  Or should I consider buying a different raid controller?  Do you guys have some recommendations for which card I should consider?  Also, which part numbers do I need in terms of drive cages for the other 16 drive bays, cables to connect everything, etc?

9 REPLIES 9
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

According to the Quickspecs, 777338-S01 ships with 8SFF bays, not 24. Part numbers 777339-S01 and 792468-S01 have 24 SFF HDD Bays and ship with the Smart Array P440ar/2GB + SAS Expander.  There is not an HPE field upgradable option to go from 8SFF to 24SFF. If you search the forum you will find where others have listed spare parts to order to accomplish this.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
LMIOperations
Occasional Advisor

Did you even read my first post?  I stated that the server came with 8 empty drive bays, and that I know it's capable of being expanded to 24.  I'm trying to find out what parts I need to buy in order to expand it...

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

you probably need a SAS expander, chexk the quickspec.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@LMIOperations wrote:

Did you even read my first post?  I stated that the server came with 8 empty drive bays, and that I know it's capable of being expanded to 24.  I'm trying to find out what parts I need to buy in order to expand it...

Yes I did. 

Again,  The units that have 24 SFF HDD Bays from the factory ship with the Smart Array P440ar/2GB + SAS Expander.  There is not an HPE field upgradable option to go from 8SFF to 24SFF. If you search the forum you will find where others have listed spare parts to order to accomplish this. You'll need the expander plus the additional cages and cables

HPE Part Surfer is a good place to start if you can't find the other posts

LMIOperations
Occasional Advisor

I was given two different part numbers from an HP rep, so I'm confused about which one is the correct part.  I was told these two part numbers:  839786-B21 and 761879-001.  It looks like the 761879-001 would be correct.

And it looks like I need to buy two of these:  779086-001

I should be good to go with those (besides the hard drive, which is still being worked out - it's all gonna boil down to price).

Thanks for the replies Jimmy and Torsten.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Gerenally with HPE part numbers, systems and options are xxxxxx-B21, spare parts for the same item end in a xxxxxx-001 (or 002,003, etc depending on revision)

If you look here http://h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c04438847

It shows

HPE DL380 12Gb SAS Expander Card Riser 1 Cable Bundle Kit 839786-B21
HPE DL380 Gen9 P440ar/H240ar Riser 2 SAS Expander Kit 844115-B21
HP DL380 Gen9 Additional 8SFF Bay2 Cage/Backplane Kit 768857-B21

I don't think the cage/backplane kits comes with the cables. You need to look at partsurfer for one of the 24SFF server to see what all cables are required

Start here and look under cables http://partsurfer.hpe.com/Search.aspx?SearchText=777339-S01

LMIOperations
Occasional Advisor

Awesome, thanks for the info Jimmy!

One last question I just thought of:  Do you think my existing PSUs will be big enough to power everything (2 @ 500W), or should I consider upgrading to bigger ones?  My plan is to make this a VMware host.  I'm gonna install 384GB of RAM (PN: 752370-091 in slots 1C, 4D, 8F, 9B, 11E and 12A; on both CPUs), install the SAS expander and two more drive cages, and install 24 @ 600GB SFF hard drives for the storage array.  I'm not sure if two 800W PSUs would do the job, or if I need to go with the 1400W PSUs...

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Take a look at the online power advisor https://www.hpe.com/us/en/integrated-systems/rack-power-cooling.html#Portfolio 

Configuring a system close to what you are creating
One 500w PSU will not power system
Two 500w PSU will not be redundent
One 800w PSU will power system
Two 800w PSU will be redundent

LMIOperations
Occasional Advisor

Thanks so much for the links and info Jimmy!