4793 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Help for ML370 G2

tripper91
Frequent Advisor

Help for ML370 G2

Hi
i have an ml370g2 and i am trying to install win server 2003 on it. When i use smartstart 7.6 it tells me that there are no arrays, but i have the array controller card attached to the server and its drives. If there is a problem with the controller card can i just install the OS properly without it and are there any things i should do differently?

thanx in advance
7 REPLIES 7
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Re: Help for ML370 G2

Hi,

> but i have the array controller card attached to the server and its drives

Which controller card are you using specifically ? The SmartArray controllers are optional on the ML370G2...

Cheers,

Rob
tripper91
Frequent Advisor

hi
im using a 64bit/66mhz, 5300 controller card
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The 5300 series has a Rom-Based setup called ORCA.

When the system powers on and you see the Smart Array 5302 banner it will probably give you a message to say there are no logical drives created. When prompted press F8 and go into the ORCA. You cabn create logical drives from there.
For example you can create a RAID 1 mirrored pair (2 disks) or RAID 5 (3 disks minimum) from ORCA and then save the configuration.

Windows 2003 is looking for the logical drives to have already been created so that it can "see" them.

I hope this helps.

Brian

tripper91
Frequent Advisor

thanx brian i will try it. i used smartstart and tried to install win server 2003 r2 last night (withought the controller card) but it crashed at the final stage when it coppies the files from the disc to the drives. it was on the same screen all night without proceeding to the reboot, then when i tried to reboot it said "NTDLR missing"
tripper91
Frequent Advisor

i installed the OS without the card and both hard drives are working fine. how do i setup raid 1 between them?
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Is there a reason that you installed the OS without the RAID card installed ?

As per Brian's previous post, you should create the hardware mirror (RAID-1) prior to installing the OS...

If you can't use the RAID controller for some reason, you will have to use software RAID within Windows to create a mirror. I've not done this before, but it should be fairly straight forward from the Windows Disk Management page...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob
tripper91
Frequent Advisor

hi

yeah the reason is that i dont kno how to properly install/configure the card. thanx for the help