1751712 Members
5559 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help needed with the Proliant ML370 G2

produKt
Occasional Contributor

Help needed with the Proliant ML370 G2

A few weeks ago i bought this server. Cost me just 40 NZ$ via Trademe.co.nz . A good score i thought.

Anyway, it seems a bit slow. Quite slow in fact.

I managed to install Windows Server Enterprise edition via smartstart CD ver 5.5, Found all the drivers for the onboard scsi3 and the tape drive etc and it's running fine just slow.

At the front of the case there is the hotswap drivebay populated with 2 15k u320 18.7GB drives and 3 15k u320 drives. The drive bay cage is the only device on the scsi cable and it is connected to the motherboard (the server did come with a card, a smartarray 530i, which was dead).

Now, seeing as the on-board scsi doesn't support any RAID configuration of any kind, the drive bay cage is set-up as just single disks. Windows is installed onto disk0 (18.7gb) and all the other drives are setup as Dynamic disks and are software striped across 2 disks in 2 pairs.

Apon hashing the files on the striped drives (reading disk i/o operation) via direct connect (dc++), i yield data speeds of only 3mb/s +/- 5mb/s.

Why is this? Anything in particular I've done wrong? Any configuration changes you can recommend?

The motherboard has a few other scsi ports onboard, 2 for raid arrays i think, but i just don't know.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
3 REPLIES 3
kira12
Valued Contributor

the internal Controller is an AIC7890. I get in trouble with this Controller with linux, but you run WinOS. Check the Speed with only one Drive, maybe the Jumpering of an other drive ist bad.
The internal Comntroller has 2 Channels, the Cabel are sitting near the PCI-hot-plug slot.
Are you sure the Smart Array Controller is Dead? You dont see an Message during the Start and Bios Check? The Controller ist recognise in the Bios?

Greetings kira
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Some of the 370 G2s came with a 5i array controller which is a small board that fitted flat against the system board (down in bottom corner)

This, then changed the onboard SCSI ports into 5i ports

Have you got the small 5i board installed?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
kira12
Valued Contributor

i dont think so :-) He write:

"Now, seeing as the on-board scsi doesn't support any RAID configuration of any kind, the drive bay cage is set-up as just single disks"
this should not be the 5i. But we wait until he is writing hier his answer....

Greeting