1752804 Members
5592 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Help on rebuilding Built-In SATA RAID 1 drives DL320 G5p

RickAtCWD
Occasional Visitor

Help on rebuilding Built-In SATA RAID 1 drives DL320 G5p

I have a ProLiant DL320 G5p server with the HP Embedded SATA setup and two sets of RAID 1 (mirrored) disks, one (160GB) set for the system volume and the other (500GB) set for data.  This was working just fine but two of the drives went bad.  So now I only have a single drive running for my system volume and one for my data.  Both sets report that the status us degraded.   I really want to get both sets back into mirrored mode before another drive fails.

Disk layout:

#0  SYSTEM - Bad (Replaced)

#1  SYSTEM - Good & Active

#2  DATA - BAD (Replaced)

#3  DATA - Good & Active

I replaced the bad drives with new ones but it did not automatically rebuild the sets or even attempt to do that.

When I manually pressed F8 and went into the Array Configuration Utility and view either set it does not allow me to Rebuild it manually.  I cannot Add or Delete a Hot Spare either.

I seem to be stuck in this environment where I cannot get back to RAID 1 (mirrored) drives.

Hopefully I am missing something silly here that can be resolved quickly.  Any thoughts or questions?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Rick

4 REPLIES 4
RickAtCWD
Occasional Visitor

I wanted to add some more information to this post.

Embedded SATA RAID controller #0 V5.0-0 B2235

When in the ACU, this is what I am seeing.

Array Configuration Utility

When I see the list of Arrays and select one and then press "Ctrl-R", I get this response.

"Rebuild cannot be done on this array.  Please check array's type/state and Hot spare's size."

Select Drives to assign Spare
00    148.8GB
01           0KB
02    465.6GB
03           0KB

When I try to assign a spare I get this.
"The spare created is smaller in size and it may not protect any of the existing redundant arrays.
Do you want to continue? (Yes/No):"

I select No because I do not want to mess any of the data up.

How can I rebuild this?

Thanks again in advance.

anthony11
Regular Advisor

Is it possible that you tried to assign the 160GB drive to the 500GB volume? Or that the spares you inserted aren't the exact same model as the live disks, and thus are slightly smaller?
RickAtCWD
Occasional Visitor

I have a solution update.

I was looking into some options late yesterday and apparently I cannot make these changes with the Array Configuration Utility at boot up.  Nothing seemed to be working as far as a meaningful change.

I applied the latest ProLiant Support Pack 2013-02 hoping for better results.  It did apply some updates.  But I found that the HP Storage Manager application installed on my Windows 2008 R2 server did allow me to view and actually add the Hot Spares into the arrays.  It is now rebuilding both arrays and based on what I see, it may take 48 hours to complete, but it is rebuilding.

I wish I would have found some documentation on this letting me know the the BIOS ACU would not meet my needs and that I really needed to use the OS application HP Storage Manager.  This would have saved me many hours of frustration.

I hope this bit of info helps someone else and saves them some time.

If this solution fails for me, I will post the results.

anthony11
Regular Advisor

I'm surprised you can even get into the BIOS utility.  On DL3[68]0 G8 systems ESC-8 to enter ORCA is completely ignored and I have to use virtual media to mount hpacuoffline