1752786 Members
5770 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Help setting up server/external storage configuration

jre6086
Occasional Visitor

Help setting up server/external storage configuration

We have a bran new DL380 Gen 9 server with 96 TB of storage and an HP 3600 chasis with another 96 TB storage. We linked these together with an SAS cable and we see both boxes with the correct amount of HDs but the problem is that they have 2 seperate RAID controllers and I can't figure out how to combine these on 1 controller so that we can use all 192 TB of HD space in 1 logical RAID 10 array.    ???? 

2 REPLIES 2
Fritsch James
Frequent Advisor

You cannot do that - at least not in a standard configuration. Which type of controller do you have?

I do not know a smart array controller for the Gen9 servers that will support internal and external sas connectors simultaneously. Also not with this amount of disks.

The maximum size of raid array I know would be a configuration with 25xSFF backplane and SAS Expander.

jre6086
Occasional Visitor

I see. The RAID controller on the host server(HP Proliant D380 Gen9) is the HPE Smart Array P840ar controller and

the RAID controller on the HP D3600 enclosure is the HPE Smart Array P841. They both show up in the Smart Storage Administrator but we are trying to have 1 RAID config to use all 24 disks. If that's not possible we are thinking of putting both sets of 12 drives in a RAID 10 configuration and attempt to combine them in the operating system install. Any ideas?