108795 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Help with DL20 Gen10 NVME card installed - all Fans at 85%

SOLVED
Go to solution
mysy
Valued Contributor

Help with DL20 Gen10 NVME card installed - all Fans at 85%

I get new DL20 Gen10 Server with 4SFF model, I use it for my home lab with other DL320E G8 and DL20 Gen9.

I installl a 1TB NVME SSD card(micron 2200) direct to systemboard nvme slot. after I install it and boot up, system fan all run like crazy.

I switch Win server 2019 and Vmware 7 (HPE Version), all with install the Agentless Management app or vib . After I remove the NVME card, Fan1 and 2 low to 6% . fan 3 still 48%. 

in OS mode, the NVME card are working fine, I run speed test in win os, it could save or load file , benchmark software test it to 29xx Mb/s read speed. Just the DL20 fan noise not good for human survival.

Once time this system only install win 2019 with 4sff , the fan 3 lower to 24% with agentless management app. I don't know why it doesn't drop down the speed after system boot up to OS now.

Fan speed too highFan speed too highAll tempture are less than warningAll tempture are less than warningagentless isntalledagentless isntalled

9 REPLIES 9
mysy
Valued Contributor

I read the quickspecs ,some page say the option parts is seagate 240/480g 22110 ?

When installing seagate NVMe x4 M.2 400/480GB SSD module, the supporting ambient temperature should be under 30°C (86°F).

Shrey27
HPE Pro

Hello,

Based on the options parts list for Dl20 Gen10 server, below is the supported NVME disk:

RI - NVMe - M.2 - SSD

HPE 480GB NVMe x4 Lanes RI M.2 22110 3-year warranty DS firmware SSD

P24188-B21

Reference:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=emr_na-a00059857en_us

Could you please confirm what is the part no. of the  1TB NVME SSD card(micron 2200) card that you are using on the server.

Thanks

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

mysy
Valued Contributor

Sorry, I couldn't use HPE option parts , it was come from my desktop.

The nvme parts function are working , just fans noise is too loud. 

I worry same problem with the hpe option parts, just some bios pre-setting thermolysis parameter problem.

480g nvme doesn't make sense for so small size of it.

Shrey27
HPE Pro

Hello,

Thanks for the update.

For Gen 10 servers, below are the recommended BIOS performance Tuning Settings:

• From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU) > Power and Performance Options > Minimum Processor Idle Power Core C-State> No C-states
  • From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU) > Power and Performance Options > Minimum Processor Idle Power Package C-State> No Package state
  • From the System Utilities screen, select System Configuration > BIOS/Platform Configuration (RBSU) > Advanced Options > Thermal Configuration> Maximum Cooling
  • Disable Collaborative Power Control
  • Press F9 and go to " System Utilities "
  • Go to "System Configuration (RBSU) ==>Power Management ==> Advanced Power Options ==>Collaborative Power Control==> Set it to Disabled  

Also HPE recommends to update all the server firmwares like BIOS, ILo to the latest versions for the best possible performance

However since the part you are using is from your desktop, HPE can not comment on the functionality and behaviour of the server using the parts which are not in the supported list

Hence recommendation is to use the parts as per the supported spare/options part for the mentioned server.

Thanks

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

mysy
Valued Contributor

set to ' Maximum Cooling'  ?

I need lower noise , not more ...

Shrey27
HPE Pro

Hello,

As requested earlier, kindly use the parts as per the option/spare part list for the server and check the status.

In case issue is still seen with the compatible parts and after the firmwares are up to date, then please capture the latest logs from the server and log a case with the technical support in order to check for any issues due to hardware.

Thanks

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

uzimmermann
Frequent Advisor

Check which Innovative Engine version you have installed. I have run into the same issue where fans would be running at over 80% and peak to 100%. The following update:

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_e6a71d41719846a9b87799e1cf

has the following in the release notes:

Addressed an extremely rare issue where Processor or Memory temperature reporting may not be collected properly by    the platform and the system fans may be running faster than expected. This issue has been seen occasionally after a       server reboot and is typically corrected with a subsequent server reboot.

In my case a reboot didn't clear my issue only a full power removal did. Since I updated the Innovative Engine I have not seen this issue.

mysy
Valued Contributor

after update this , install a intel 16G Optane nvme card still have high fan speed issue.  fan1 and fan2 keep in 80% speed. so loud... without 16g intel optane nvme card only 8% fan speed,

Snap1.jpg

But the nvme card are working fine in the Esxi OS.

Snap2.jpg

scottsh
Solution

If you use non-HPE parts, iLO can't read the temperature data from the part so it runs the fans up to 85%.  There is nothing you can do to address this except use HPE parts.  I know this is frustrating.