New Discussion ī„‚

Re: Help with DL20 Gen10 ilo5 AHCI - Fans at 43%

SOLVED
Go to solution
ANobbe
Occasional Visitor

Help with DL20 Gen10 ilo5 AHCI - Fans at 43%

Hi there,

currently weĀ“ve a problem with our new DL20 Gen10 Servers. As usual we switched the onboard controller from HP Raid to AHCI (done with all DL20 Gen9 before), but the Gen10 run their fans always at around 43 percent which isnĀ“t very helpful. As OS ist currently openSuSE Leap 15.1 installed (tried Centos7, Tumbleweed 15.1, Ubuntu 18.04LTS), but none of them helped in our case.

At further investigation of the problem i saw that ipmitool shows the the sensor readings of HD Max and AHCI HD Max show "N/A", which seems happing when you switch from Raid to AHCI (in Raid-Mode the fans are nearly silent).As far as i currently discovered it seems the ilo doesnĀ“t report the values to the system in AHCI mode. Why this happens, i donĀ“t know.

We also updated the ilo firmware to the newest version (former hint to get maybe rid of the problem) but didnĀ“t help either.

---edit---

The fans ot the "old" Gen9 run at aprox. 18% which is recognizable quieter. So keep them running at 43% isnĀ“t an option.

---edit---

Maybe someone here knows what else we could do ?

Thanks in advance,

Alexander

5 REPLIES 5
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

If you will load 'amsd' the fans should spin back down to normal as iLO 5 can get HD temp from the ams daemon instead of the Smart Array controller 

You want amsd for iLO 5, not hp-ams for previous generations of iLO

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/km/search#q=agentless%20management%20service&t=All&sort=relevancy

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
ANobbe
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

thanks for the answer. This fixed our issue, after installing the rpm (in our case the SLES15 version) and restarting the

amsd service the fans start to slow down (6.27% instead of 43.2%) which is quite noticeable.

So, that fixed the problem, thank you for the fast and competently support.

Bye,

Alexander

AndreySm
Frequent Visitor

Hi there.

I'd like to revisit this topic, as I have the similar problem and yet looks like the solution does not work for me (so far).

I have same HW (HPE ProLiant DL20 Gen10), 2 HDDs, SATA controller running in AHCI, fans spinning at around 40%.

I have installed VMWare vSphere 6.7 using HPE Custom ISO 6.7 Update 3 (VMware-ESXi-6.7.0-Update3-15160138-HPE-Gen9plus-670.U3.10.5.0.48-Dec2019-depot). No VMs deployed yet, ESXi is effectively empty.

In the ESXi I can see that amsd is already installed, rev. 670.11.5.0; amsd has obfiously came with the HPE image I installed ( check in ESXi GUI, Navigator -> Host -> Manage -> Packages). Power management policy is set to Balanced.

In DL20 BIOS/Platform Config I tried workload profiles General Power Efficient Compute and Virtualization - Power Efficient (with Power Regulator being Dynamic Power Saving Mode and OS Control Mode respectively). Even before that I have updated all ProLiant FW with SPP 2019.12.0.

However, fans just spin at 40% and do not want to drop. Needless to say, when I configure Smart Array SW RAID Support, everything goes back to normal (but what I need is VMWare, so have to stick with SATA AHCI).

What do I miss about amsd and other settings?

Thanks in advance,
Andrey

Darren_cw
Frequent Visitor

@AndreySm , @ANobbe I also have this problem same problem DL20 Gen 10 with ESXi using HP supplied 6.7u3 image, did you find a solution ?

AndreySm
Frequent Visitor

Hi Darren_cw,

I had a ticket opened to HPE support, basically its outcome was "working as designed". They didn't comment why really it works for Linux hypervisor and not for vSphere. Eventually I just bought myself a hardware controller - HPE Smart Array E208i-a SR Gen10, and it works like a charm now.