ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752808 Members
6301 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Help with confusion of HPE Proliant Agentless Management vs Agentless Management and SMA

jdixon
Frequent Advisor

Help with confusion of HPE Proliant Agentless Management vs Agentless Management and SMA

We currently use a system to monitor RAID, physical disks, and other things through what used to be Insight Management. Now they have this Agentless Management stuff but it is completely confusing because they have a "HPE Proliant Agentless Management Service" which doesn't seem to include SMA which is required for querying the previous OID through SNMP and then they have just a "Agentless Management Service for Windows X64" which DOES include SMA.

So I can't install the one with SMA on a Gen9 with Server 2019 for some reason but that one works on Gen10 servers and I can query what I need. Why can't I get this working on a Gen9 with Server 2019???

5 REPLIES 5
AmRa
HPE Pro

Re: Help with confusion of HPE Proliant Agentless Management vs Agentless Management and SMA

Greetings,

With HPE iLO 5, weтАЩre moving to full agentless management. Freedom from the hassle of inventorying and updating various management agents, agentless management allows for a more simplified and streamlined way to monitor your servers. Also, new in HPE Gen10, System
Management Assistant (SMA) support for HPE Gen10 Agentless Management enables routing of SNMP information sourced from HPE iLO via the operating system.
With the release of Gen10 servers, iLO no longer supports OS-based SNMP agents. The System management Assistant (SMA) is an Agentless Management Service feature for users who want to run applications that obtain SNMP information from the OS.

AMS (forward mode) - The standard configuration of AMS is to pass information from the OS to iLO.

SMA (reverse mode) - When SMA is enabled, information is passed from iLO to the OS.

Installation

SMA is installed as part of the AMS package, and it is disabled by default.

Enabling SMA
Windows - Use the default AMS configuration to pass information from the OS to iLO. Enable SMA to pass information from iLO to the OS. The standard configuration of AMS and SMA can be enabled at the same time.

Linux and VMware - Use the default AMS configuration to pass information from the OS to iLO. Enable SMA to pass information from iLO to the OS. The default AMS configuration and SMA cannot be enabled at the same time.

With iLO 3 and earlier, SNMP management used the HPE Insight Management Agents running on the server operating system. With iLO 4, user can use either Agentless Management or the Insight Management Agents. The default configuration uses Agentless Management. Agentless Management uses out-of-band communication for increased security and stability. With Agentless Management, health monitoring and alerting is built into the system and begins working the moment a power cord is connected to the server. This feature runs on the iLO hardware, independent of the operating system and processor. Additional operating system data is collected when AMS is installed.

For more information refer HPE Integrated Lights Out (iLO 4) - Viewing iLO systems in the Windows Network Folder

https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-a00045519en_us&docLocale=en_US

and HPE Agentless Management and the transition from OS-based agents guide

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=sd00001038en_us&docLocale=en_US&page=GUID-D7147C7F-2016-0901-06D0-000000001171.html

[Moderator edit: Updated the working link.]

I am an HPE Employee.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo
jdixon
Frequent Advisor

Re: Help with confusion of HPE Proliant Agentless Management vs Agentless Management and SMA

I'm not entirely sure that answers my question. Sorry if I'm confused. I can get the SNMP pass through working with Gen10 servers but I'm having an issue with a DL380 Gen9 server. If you look at the downloads the Agentless Management are different from the Gen9 and Gen10. 

Here is the Gen9 link: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_87cfde2dcf574b11bae2c31b19&swEnvOid=4249#tab-history

Here is the Gen10 link: https://support.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_18a948039cab4ea2b2ad1e8c65&swEnvOid=4249#tab-history

The Gen10 has the SMA which I need but the Gen9 version doesn't

jdixon
Frequent Advisor

It does not appear there is a solution for Gen9 servers running Windows Server 2019 from what I can find. The agentless agent for Gen9 / 2019 doesn't include the SMA feature and you can't install the Gen10 one on Gen9 because I think it requires ILO5 or above. So what is the deal here?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@jdixon wrote:

It does not appear there is a solution for Gen9 servers running Windows Server 2019 from what I can find. The agentless agent for Gen9 / 2019 doesn't include the SMA feature and you can't install the Gen10 one on Gen9 because I think it requires ILO5 or above. So what is the deal here?

Gen10 and iLO5 add the feature of 'sma', For previous generation servers you have to use the health agents and snmp from the OS side

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
jdixon
Frequent Advisor

That is what I'm saying. So the agents you are talking about is the Insight Management Agents which aren't supported on Gen9 with Server 2019. Windows Server 2019 is supported on Gen9 servers but Insight Management Agents aren't and the Agentless Management doesn't have SMA.

So that leaves no monitoring from the OS level.