ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1747984 Members
4896 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Helpless man with a Proliant 3000

mr Evan

Helpless man with a Proliant 3000

I recently aquired a Compaq proliant 3000 (dual p2/400) and its the big tower model. I've looked on google and im just a terrible search person. Can anyone help me find the compatible smart start cd's and any bios/firmware upgrades I'll need.

and if anyone happens to know, can i run Suse 9 on this machine? What OS would be recommended for file storing and possibly a game server?

thanks for all the time and help from you guys.
4 REPLIES 4
mr Evan

and you can contact me by email at nagstaku@gREMOVEmail.com
Sean Marshall_1
Frequent Advisor

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/cd_supportinfo/ServerSupportMatrix.pdf

This has the smart start support matrix for the servers

I dont believe that Suse 9.0 is supported on that server - it may work but you would have to do a manual install - smart start will not have drivers for it.

Hope this helps
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor
Edward A. Rauch

Evidently you missed my earlier thread on this beast. The other links provided by other members will get you to the proper SmartStart CD's and most of the things you need. However forget SUSE Linux 9. You can probably run any other Linux on the face of the planet except for SUSE. I should clarify that - that is unless you wish to install an additional 8 meg or greater Video card in the machine. SUSE's graphic install will not install with less and thier text based install doesn't work well on the 3000 either. If you need more detail or more assistance holler, I have been playing with my dual proc 3000 for several weeks now. I did however go with CentOS as it was free and as it is based on RedHat had no issues of anykind except how to turn on the SMP, to use the second processor. Regards,
EdR