8139 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hot Plug Drive Firmware Upgrade Problem

Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Hot Plug Drive Firmware Upgrade Problem

Hi all,

Im getting fed up with the HP SmartStart CDs already!
The latest problem Ive found is when trying to update a customers Hard Disk firmware.
The disk is an HP badged 72.8Gb Ultra 320 hot plug, in an HP Proliant DL360 G3.

I???ve downloaded the update *.scexe file and copied to a floppy as the website told me.
I then boot their server from SmartStart 6.10 which loads up ok, but the mouse pointer doesn???t work in the new mini Linux system.
I can tab around to the Maintenance tab but when trying to tab to the Rom Update Utility the tab doesn???t work!

Ive also tried doing the update in another (spare) server at our workshop, however the server is not built with anything, so when SmartStart looks for the webserver at 127.0.0.1 it of course doesn???t find it, and hangs!

It used to be all so much easier being able to make up floppies and booting from them to update any firmware on any server built or not.
So, is there any other way I can do this?
Can I download and make diskettes of the new Rom Update Utility?
The only firmware update I can find for this type of Hard disk, is the one with the scexe extension. Is there another?

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Mark???

P.S. This thread has been moved from Disk to ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL). -HP Forum Moderator

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)
2 REPLIES 2
steve_242

Re: Hot Plug Drive Firmware Upgrade Problem

Hi Mark,
according to the HP website the minimum Smartstart revision for the DL360 G3 is 6.20.
6.10 contains Rom update util 1.0.8 but you need at least 1.1 to update the disk.
Have you tried booting from the latest Bios floppy and then putting in the *.scexe image floppy. worth a try.
Steve.
Mark Matthews
Respected Contributor

Re: Hot Plug Drive Firmware Upgrade Problem

Thanks for that Steve.

Thats probably what the problem is then, not a new enough version of the Rom Update Util, and hence SmartStart CD.

Trouble is I dont have a SmartStart 6.20 CD and none of my collegues have one either!

Is it possible that Compaq/HP would send me one over? (I am an official Compaq APS in Proliant servers...)

Cheers for the reply/info,

Mark...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please click the white Kudos star to the left if this post is helpful :)