1745832 Members
4051 Online
108723 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hot Spare drive Question

Peter Davies_5
Advisor

Hot Spare drive Question

We have 3 drives on a DL 380. @ 2 are configured as RAID 1. The third drive is a hot spare.
One drive which is part of the RAID 1 is dead. I was going to replace the failed drive with the hot spare. Does this change anything when the new hot spare comes in from hp. Can I not just load the hot spare in its original place as before without making any other changes?

appreciate input
5 REPLIES 5
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Hot Spare drive Question

Hi,

if you have 2 HDDs in raid 1 and 3rd drive as a spare, when a drive from the mirror fails, a rebuild wil occur from the 2nd to the spare(3rd) drive.
Then when you replace the failed drive, a rebuild from the spare to the new replaced drive will start.

If you already have taken the spare out and pluged it in the drive bay of the failed drive, then I think you can plug the new drive in the spare slot and it must be recognized as spare...

Just for sure if you already did this, check in ACU the actula config
Peter Davies_5
Advisor

ok thnxs for the feedback. I have attached a screenshot of the ACU Physical view. So if I understand that from what you mentioned, the hot spare should be rebuilding? The spare shows in ACU as unassigned. When I click on 'More INformation' in ACU it shows Online SPare Drives-None. If so would this mean that the system may have a spare drive but not configured as a hot spare?
If the above is true can one configure a hot spare if it was not defined during setup of the system?
Blazhev_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,

seems like there is no spare drive configured.

now you have 2 options:

1) Configure the unassigned drive as a spare and the rebuild should start automatically

2) take the failed drive out and plug in the unassigned drive.

from the screenshot you made, it can only be seen that a drive has failed...

To configure spare:

in ACU click on configuration wizards.
then on spare management, then :

NOTE: An array can have several spares, and any spare can be shared by several arrays.
1. Click Spare Management, and then click Begin.
2. Select the array .
3. Select the drives that you want to assign as
4. Click Next.
5. Click Finish to accept the changes.
6. Click Save, and then click OK on the confirmation alert.

then rebuild should start...

Pac

Peter Davies_5
Advisor

Great this is a really good post. Very useful inormation which I can take from here.
thnxs again!
erich chen
Occasional Visitor

With ACU8.40, the spare management is no longer available.
What is the option now other than going back to previous version of ACU?
Eric Chen