Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot Swap Drive Not Recognized by Array Controller

JM Figueroa
Occasional Visitor

Hot Swap Drive Not Recognized by Array Controller

Hello,

I am working on a Proliant ML350 Server with a Smart Array E200i controller. The server has three hot swap 146GB Hard Drives configured in a Raid 5 configuration.

Yesterday I noticed that one of the drives had a flashing amber light and the Array Diagnostice said the drive was bad and to replace it. I tried to order the spare part number that was on the hard drive (432320-001), but was told by my vendor that it was not available and he sent me part number GE261AA.

When the replacement drive arrived I took the hot swap case off the defective drive and placed it on the new drive. I then inserted the drive into the hot swap bay, but nothing happended. The green light did not go on, and when I looked at the Array controller configuration utility it said it could not recognize the drive. I rescanned the controller and got the same thing.

Is this drive bad, the wrong drive, or did I miss a step in order for the array to begin rebuilding?
2 REPLIES
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: Hot Swap Drive Not Recognized by Array Controller

hi,

on the HP partsurfer page you will be able to check the PN / SPN

http://www.partsurfer.hp.com/cgi-bin/spi/main

mikap
ArthurWP
Advisor

Re: Hot Swap Drive Not Recognized by Array Controller

If there are compatibility issues it sometimes requires a reboot to recognize the drive. If so upgrade firmware and drivers if it works. You can also call hp tech support or online chat to verify compatibility.