1753707 Members
4990 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Hot-Swapping 36GIG drives with 72GIG and then Expand Array

Sal Mistretta
Occasional Contributor

Hot-Swapping 36GIG drives with 72GIG and then Expand Array

When I pull out a 36GIG drive and replace it with a 72GIG drive the server hangs, abends, and then reboots itself. Then when the server comes back online the drive begins to stripe the data.

The server hangs as soon as the old drive is pulled out. I did clarify this. The server is a Proliant DL580 G1 w/ a 5300-04 SCSI array controller.

HP-Compaq did tell me the drives could be swapped on the fly. Running NetWare 5.0 OS.

Thanks,
...Sal Mistretta
2 REPLIES 2
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Re: Hot-Swapping 36GIG drives with 72GIG and then Expand Array

Hi,

You cannot and should never, ever swap a hot-plug drive unless it has the amber fault light on. I know it sometimes works but the risks are too great.

Although they are hot-plug drives, the operating system may behave erratically when you simply remove a working drive from the configuration. When the amber fault light is on the drive is in a state where it can be safely removed with the system running. The array controller is aware of the failure and ready for the change.

Whoever it was at HP that told you it could be swapped at will, was mistaken.

Your server behaved as expected and I'm surprised you don't have further problems.

Shut the server down properly and then replace the drive. This way you will have control over the rebuild and expansion rather than a corrupt Netware box.

Regards,

Brian
Sal Mistretta
Occasional Contributor

Re: Hot-Swapping 36GIG drives with 72GIG and then Expand Array

Brian,

Thanks for the response. I was taking advice from someone I thought was suppose to have thorough knowledge for this particular procedure.

Thanks for the input. It helped out immensely and you may have saved me from
a disaster waiting to happen.