Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How HP UPS'es handles restoration of power

Dakl
Occasional Contributor

How HP UPS'es handles restoration of power

Hi,

Can anybody help to find out how UPS manages restoration of utility power? I've looked through all manuals (UPS, Power Manager, Power & Rack manager) I can find but got no answer. There 2 exact cases I'm interested in :
1. Lets say that power management software (HP PM or RPM) shuts all equipment down ant then shuts down load segments of the UPS. Will (or can) ups power up load segments after restoring utility power? Who controls this operation? UPS or managements station (it is mentioned in Rack&Power manager manual that there can be load segment power restoration with delay up to 60 min)?
2. If equipment is shutdown and UPS batteries are depleted then after restoring utility power will ups power up load segments? If yes then when? Immediately or after charging batteries to some level?

Thanks in advance.

Br,
Dakl
5 REPLIES
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Re: How HP UPS'es handles restoration of power

check Operation and Reference Guide you can find some details
http://www.g8wrb.org/useful-stuff/powertrust/ups3kuserguide.pdf

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/UCR/SupportManual/TPM_192131-003_rev3_us/TPM_192131-003_rev3_us.pdf

either in Standby Mode, Operate Mode or Configure Mode
- The UPS charges the batteries as necessary.

Support for power management software
Logging events, such as utility power blackouts and brownouts
Prioritizing shutdown and start up of protected devices
Dakl
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

There is nothing about my questions in these manuals. I have read through them (R5500 and both management softwares) before writing here. I don't care about puting UPS online manualy. I want to know how UPS manages this itself. Simple example - if UPS shuts down servers in the middle of the night is it possible to make everything again after power restoration without manual interaction?

Br,
Darius K.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

it should be possible. In Rack and Power manager it's under Devices -> UPS Devices -> Power Fail Settings -> Restart settings. Here you can set how long it should delay from when the UPS has power again until it should switch on each load segment. If you have external storage devices (e.g. MSA disk box or an external tape device) you should put these devices on a different load segment to the servers and set the delay for the server load segment(s) to the amount of time it takes for the external device to initialize. You might have to set the servers themselves to automatically power on (in RBSU if you have Proliants). Otherwise you may have to use the iLO Virtual Power feature to remotely power on the machines, or physically switch the servers on by pressing the power button.

For your 2nd question I'm not sure. As far as I know it does not wait for the batteries to charge, it just powers up.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Stephen
Dakl
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thank you for an answer.
One more thing about Restart settings - are this pover on timeout stored in the ups itself? I mean if management server (the one you set these options on) is also down - will ups power on load segments? Is this management server working only as interface for internal logic inside UPS? I never tried this option and can't check now that's why I'm asking :)

According 2nd question - if it is working the way you say it is possible to "kill" UPS bateries if there are problems with electricity for some time...

Br,
Darius K.
Stephen Kebbell
Honored Contributor

Hi,

yes the settings are stored in the UPS itself. So it will power on the load segments even when the management server is down.

Regards,
Stephen