ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753774 Members
7019 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How Long should a Raid 5 server take to shut down (ML350)

Brad Jones_3
Occasional Contributor

How Long should a Raid 5 server take to shut down (ML350)

I have a ML350 G3 with the smart array controller card and 3 drives, 2Gig of ram and a 2.8 xeon processer. This server runs Server 2003 and Exchange 2003, it is also my domain controller and DNS, DHCP and a web serv. I know I should have these distributed to other servers but this is what I have so I have to work with it. My concern/problem is the time it takes for this system to shut down. The last time I shut this server down it wasn't finished after 45 minutes. It was still on the screen that say's Shutting Down.
How long (guesses/approximations) should it take for the server to shut down?

Oh yeah, I also had a motherboard replacement/failure the end of November. and this server was brought online in August of 04

Thanks in advance
Brad J
bradjones@liberal.k12.mo.us
2 REPLIES 2
Bostjan Kosi
Trusted Contributor

Hi,

I think your problem is not related to hardware...Check how long does it take if you manualy stop exchange services before shutting down..I bet it will be much faster...

BR
B.
Nothing is impossible for those that don't have to do it themselves!
Brad Jones_3
Occasional Contributor

Thanks I'll try that, I went ahead and did some updates that required a reboot and it only took 9 minutes to shut down as opposed to the last couple of times. next time though I'll try that.