ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753774 Members
7119 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How can I disable one PowerSupply of a Proliant DL580 G2 Server without negative consequences?

AndreasM
Occasional Advisor

How can I disable one PowerSupply of a Proliant DL580 G2 Server without negative consequences?

Hello,
we have two Proliant DL580 G2. Each has two power supplies. Because we are short in electric outlets in the server room we only use one of the power supplies at the moment.

In another Server (of type Proliant DL360 G4p) I could pull out one power supply by the handle a little bit. At first this would lead to not booting thru but I could adjust this in the BIOS of the DL380 G4p.
However, the DL580 G2 with only one power supply inserted halts upon rebooting (throwing a heavy alarm message) and I could not find a place in the BIOS to adjust this.

If I leave the Power Supply in the server without plugging it to electric current then the server creates constantly alarm messages via SNMP. This can only roughly be adjusted it seems, in Control Panel, HP Management Agents, [Services] by removing "System Information" from the "Active Agents". Roughly, because, this disables then other system messages too, which I don't want since these other system messages have their own Icon in Insight Manager. In Insight Manager I only want the Icon for Power Supply dimmed.

Is there anything else I could do? The idea is: either remove it and boot thru or leave it in the server and not having alarm messages (without throwing out all other system information).
Thank you.
2 REPLIES 2
AndreasM
Occasional Advisor

Re: How can I disable one PowerSupply of a Proliant DL580 G2 Server without negative consequences?

Hello,
since I found the solution myself, I might as well post it here for whoever needs it:
In checking out the server I realized that it never really had been patched. The server had the original ROM-BIOS from July 2002. So I decided to improve it step by step.
I downloaded the RomPAK BIOS-Patch sp28813 (from Sept. 04). In trying to apply it from diskette, I received the error message:
Error!
Flash Programming Locked.
Cold boot of system is necessary to Unlock!
Correct adminstrator password is necessary if one has been set.

There is no place really to unlock Flash programming. Then I downloaded the HP Hardware Maintenance CD (http:__h20000.www2.hp.com_bizsupport_TechSupport_SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=US&swItem=MTX-26a0f9e294764a91b76b282f2a ==> replace slashes with underscores).
I patched what was to patch, made sure that the BIOS setting in "Advanced Options" for "POST F1 Prompt" was set on "Delay", pulled out the power supply an inch by its handle and put pack "System Information" as "Active Agent" in "Control Panel", "HP Management Agents", [Service].
Because of the BIOS patch the message that initially halted the system changed from
1616 ├в Power Supply Configuration Error-System Power Not Redundant
Please Place A Working Power Supply in Bay 1
├в System Haltet!
To
1615-Power Supply Failure, Power Supply Unplugged, or Power Supply Fan Failure in Bay 1
With the 1615-error-message the server now did boot thru.
All system messages in CIM (Compaq Insight Manager 5.5) were available again and the Power Supply was green with just the information 1 Power Supply: Absent.

That was it. I deserve 10 points, I guess.

Ciaou for now
AndreasM
Occasional Advisor

Hi
of course: in the link, replace underscores with slashes, ...
Sorry for mixing them up.
Andreas