ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752806 Members
6676 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How can I load iLO drivers on a machine I can't rebuild?

Vague Assumption
Frequent Advisor

How can I load iLO drivers on a machine I can't rebuild?

I'm configuring a server from a customer that I can't rebuild (Well, I haven't yet asked permission to rebuild).

I went to load Proliant Support Paq, but it won't load the Insight Management Agents because the Management Controller Drivers aren't present. Can I get them on without rebuilding the server with Smart Start?
7 REPLIES 7
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Vague Assumption
Frequent Advisor

Johan: thanks for your quick reply. But I need to clarify based on further research. I grabbed the drivers for iLo 3 from the HP site -- they wouldn't load, however, on a DL180G6, however, because it doesn't have any iLo circuitry. In fact, it has an American Megatrends mother board, so I can't even get into what I'd call a BIOS.

Can I get this baby hooked up to the Compaq Insight Manager so I can inspect the hardware from its console?
Charlie Hawkins2
Frequent Advisor

My understanding - iLO in a Proliant DL100 series is done via the dual NICs, not a separate iLO connection. I've had the same issue with a DL120, and was told that it couldn't support "iLO"...we had to purchase the license for "Lights-Out 100 Advanced", then setting that up under Windows 2008. I hope you find something better!
Vague Assumption
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, Charlie, but I have to use both of my NICS for production. Would that make your solution impossible for me to implement?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

@Vague, several important pieces of information:

ProLiant 100 series does not share the same level of management and support as 300 and above: No ProLiant Support Pack, no SmartStart (although there is a EasySetup disc) and Lights-Out 100 instead of iLO. (Some features of LO100 may require an additional license)

The EasySetup disc should have all of the requisite drivers. If you don't have that anymore...

http://www.hp.com --> Support & Drivers --> Download drivers & software --> DL180 G6 --> [Select the OS, e.g. Windows Server 2008 R2]

You need "Driver - System Management" and under "Software - System Management" you need either the management agents or WBEM providers (if using the agents you'll need to load Windows' SNMP if not already done) and the System Management Homepage.

Check http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManualтМй=en&cc=us&docIndexId=64180&taskId=115&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=3884339 for manuals you may be missing that would have been included on the EasySetup or documentation disc included with your system.

See the QuickSpecs for more information on your model: http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13248_na/13248_na.HTML
Vague Assumption
Frequent Advisor

Arghh. Thanks for your reply, David. I went to download the management driver, but it told me only that the service was unavaialble. The both the direct link to the software (on the box that needed the files) and the link to the basic Server type returned "service unavailable." IIS server's app pool not running?

I'll have to try later.
Vague Assumption
Frequent Advisor

Yay! David, I got the right driver installed and it's off to the races.

You live, you learn. :)