ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753521 Members
5280 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How can I tell whether ECC is enabled on Proliant ML110 G5?

S Mason_1

How can I tell whether ECC is enabled on Proliant ML110 G5?

My new server has apparently been working fine, but I ran Sandra on it yesterday and was surprised to see that it was advising me to use ECC memory modules. Under the "System Memory Controller" heading, it says "Error Correction Capability: None". I have 8GB of ECC memory in there, and I even get the same results using only the 1GB ECC stick that HP included with the machine.

I know that Sandra isn't always reliable, but I don't know of any other way of confirming whether ECC is enabled. I couldn't find anything in the BIOS related to this...

I've just upgraded to the latest BIOS version from the website and things are identical.

A colleague has an ML115 with non-ECC memory and it works fine, which also makes me think that it could possibly be running with ECC disabled.

There surely must be some way of confirming whether ECC is enabled.

I'd be grateful if someone could help, as I've already spent hours on Google and not come up with anything.

Thanks.

Steve
6 REPLIES 6
predrag81
Valued Contributor

Hi Steve,

first you can tell as which server you have, than check which memory modules supporting that server, or try to see spare, part number of modules and following that you can see specification of memory.

Or if you can physically access to server usually EEC chip is integrated in centar of memory modul as a small piece between the rest of the memory chips.

But, specification is the best way!

KR
Predrag
predrag81
Valued Contributor

Sorry Steve, didn't see on time that this is ML115G5.

There you are specification of memory for ML115G5:

Memory Protection
ECC

Memory
Type
PC2-6400 unbuffered DDR2 ECC 800MHz
Standard
512 MB
Maximum
8 GB

KR
Predrag
S Mason_1

The server is a Proliant ML110 G5, not an ML115.

There is indeed a memory chip in the middle of the memory module - thanks for the tip.

The label on the HP-provided memory is "Elpida 1GB 2Rx8 PC2-6400E-666". I would be surprised if HP shipped non-ECC memory with this server - I would just like to find a way of checking the ECC is enabled.

Thanks.

Steve
predrag81
Valued Contributor

Hi Steve,

sorry for my absent-minded and thank for points.
Now, I think that ECC memory is only supported memory for ML110G5 Proliant and you don't need no option to enable or disable it.
Specs for ML110G5:
Memory:
512 MB Standard (1GB on SAS Models) / 8 GB Maximum of PC6400 DDR2, Unbuffered ECC
Orderable parts:

2 GB Unbuffered PC2-6400 ECC DIMM (1 x 2 GB)
450260-B21
1 GB Unbuffered PC2-6400 ECC DIMM (1x1 GB)
450259-B21
512 MB Unbuffered PC2-6400 ECC DIMM(1x512 MB)
450258-B21

KR
Predrag
S Mason_1

Thanks for the reply, Predrag.

Most evidence seems to point at this machine only supporting ECC, but there's a guy on the overclockers.co.uk forums who claims to be using non-ECC memory with a ML110 G5.

Steve
predrag81
Valued Contributor

Yes, you can try with non HP memory allways.
But, logic is: if only supported memory is ECC why should be option in BIOS for enbling or disabling ECC, especially when entry level of servers are under consideration.
You know how "bald" is BIOS on ML110, so, option for ecc isn't included, you could only use Offline diagnostic and check if Hp put ecc memory module, but i don't doubt my friend.

KR
Predrag