ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752785 Members
6135 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How do I insert a floppy and cdrom in ilo at the same time?

Ian M Smith

How do I insert a floppy and cdrom in ilo at the same time?

I am trying to install windows server remotely on a DL380 G3. I am using ssh to issue vm commands, and I can mount a floppy or a cdrom, but I can not do both at the same time.

If I try and disconnect the cd to insert a floppy the install crashes.

I tried the web interface, but it says I need Windows 2003 Server.

Is only being able to connect one virtual media connection at a time a limitation of ilo?

Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Hi,

The ILO user guide doesn't seem to indicate any limitations to usage of virtual media, so we can only assume that it works fine with both virtual media selected.

In virtual media, connect both the floppy & CD at the same time (local media drive").

Make sure to disable the floppy drive physically installed (if any) through RBSU on the DL380 G3 server.

However, you could try use the image of the floppy or CD (ISO) as if both being used as physical media doesn't work.

Is there any particular reason you are using the floppy & the windows installation disc to deploy? Are you trying to install Windows 2000 server or Windows 2003 server?
Ian M Smith

I am trying to install Windows 2000 Server which does not have drivers for the 5i Array, so I need to use a driver disk to load them. Thats why I need to use a remote cdrom and a remote floppy.

If I issue "vm cdrom insert " and then "vm floppy insert " I get this error...

VM: Image already inserted

I tried the "set /map1/oemhp_vm/floppydr oemhp_image=" command too with the result of...

status=2
status_tag=COMMAND PROCESSING FAILED
error_tag=INVALID ARGUMENT
Cannot insert because an image is already inserted in the VM CDROM device.
Carlos Rubio
Advisor

Ian, you can install Windows 2000 in the server across the ILO with SmartStart's CD. This way you will not need the diskette, beside having the last installed drivers when you end.

You have SmartStart's last version in

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27210.html

Regards
Mark Coney
Occasional Contributor

The smartstart cd in some cases will not show the GUI across the iLO and that part will need to be done on location.
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

That's exactly what I was wondering about. If there is no specific reason to use a floppy drive & Windows installation disc, then it is always recommended to do a smartstart "assisted" install.

If there is no data on the server, it will be worthwhile to run the Erase utility before starting to deploy the server.
Ian M Smith

Ahh, I forgot about the SmartStart CD. That should work.