ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753689 Members
5309 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How do you set the Bootstrap Processor?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mike Povall
Trusted Contributor

How do you set the Bootstrap Processor?

I have a situation where a DL380 G2 was purchased with a single processor. Later it was upgraded to add a second processor. The second CPU is from a Compaq / HP option kit.
A message has appeared in the event log stating that the CPUs are not all the same revision level. In the survey file it shows that CPU 1 is a stepping 1 CPU and that CPU 2 is a stepping 4 CPU.

According to Intel specs this configuration should be fine as long as the Stepping 1 CPU is the Bootstrap Processor. All I need to know is how do you set which CPU is to be the Bootstrap Processor or is there a default setting or do I have to go and find another Stepping 4 CPU and replace my first CPU.

I really look forward to your thoughts on this one.

Cheers, Mike.
3 REPLIES 3
Clinton Elston
Occasional Advisor

Mike,

If memory serves me correctly, yes the boot Strap processor must be the one with the lower value.

Exchange the processors so that the one with the lowest Stepping is in processor Slot 1. Check the side of the server casing or the Heat-sinks could have a Processor 1 or 2 printed on it. Also always upgrade to the latest BIOS

Hope this helps.

Regards

Clinton
what me, worry
Clinton Elston
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Mike,

If memory serves me correctly, yes the boot Strap processor must be the one with the lower value.

Exchange the processors so that the one with the lowest Stepping is in processor Slot 1. Check the side of the server casing or the Heat-sinks could have a Processor 1 or 2 printed on it. Also always upgrade to the latest BIOS

Hope this helps.

Regards

Clinton
what me, worry
Mike Povall
Trusted Contributor

Closed by author