108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: How do you set up dual boot on ML370 G3

Mark Walker_2

How do you set up dual boot on ML370 G3

5 REPLIES 5
Mark Walker_2

Whoops, accidently pressed return in the previous message.

What I need know is how to set up a dual boot system on one of these servers. On a Proliant 5500 server you just need to boot of the OS CD and create another OS install on a different drive. However, when I try to do the same with an ML370 it doesn't see any hard drives. Is there an easy way to create a dual boot?

I build all Servers with a dual boot to expediate disaster recovery.
Ron Amos
Valued Contributor

Hi Mark,

I have a triple Boot system on my ML370. To accomplish this I installed first Operating System NT4 using Smart Start but creating (5) Logical Partitions RAID 5. NT4 is installed in Partition 1 (one).

Next I installed Windows 2000 ???Manual Installation??? in Partition 2 (two). Be sure to do older Operating System first.

Next I installed Windows 2003 ???Manual Installation??? in Partition 3 (three). Then I moved Page File for each Operating System to Partition 4 (four).

I use Logical Partition 5 (five) for common DATA Files.

Each time I boot the Server I can choose the Operating System as displayed by BOOT.INI. My default Operating System is Windows 2003.

Hope this helps,

Ron
There are some people who live in a dream world
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I would recommend specifying the driver for the second OS, since this is almost always (always if there is an existing OS installed) caused by Windows not having the correct driver.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
Mark Walker_2

Thanks Ron.

So what it boils down to is that you now need to use SmartStart when setting up dual booting.

Time to dig out my SmartStart 5.50 as the 6.20 that came with the Server seems a step backwards. It's all HP'ish!
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

Huh? How would Smart Start be used to install another OS, besides the original? It's exactly the same procedure which was used previously. If the OS (Win2000, Win2003, etc.) does not have the CORRECT driver for the array controller then it will always come up with a message saying "no drives are attached to the controller".
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..