ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753843 Members
7376 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How do you upate firmware on a DL380 G7?

SOLVED
Go to solution
ecceman
Occasional Visitor

How do you upate firmware on a DL380 G7?

Hi,

I got a GL380 G7 that was taken offline by a customer. I work mainly with networks and are not very familiar with server stuff, so I got into a bit of trouble when I tried to reinstall the server.

Booting the server, the ILO and so on all works fine. The server has a ILO advanced license and I can install stuff remotely. I first installed ESXi 6.0 using the HP Custom ISO, and it worked perfectly. I then tried installing Ubuntu Server 16.04 (instead of ESXi) and got stuck on the network interfaces. The Linux installation finds them, but cannot use them, DHCP fails, I cannot see any MAC address on the switch port it's connected to, but the interface is up. And it worked with ESXi. I tried Debian 8 and Ubuntu Server 12, same error (Debian says it need firmware for the Broadcom NICs though).

Looking around the web I saw a few recommendations on firmware update. I've been fiddeling around a while with that, I need someone to clarify how firmware updates work.

1. Is HP SUM something ment for large installations? AS I understand it the SUM ISO is just a tool and does not contain any firmware by itself? I tried to boot the ISO, but got the error message "No baseline found". Didn't investigate further.

2. Does firmware updates require an existing windows installation? When I look at what's available to download, pretty much everything is under the Windows section, and nothing under Linux or "OS independent".

3. Are the firmware OS independent? Or do you flash e.g. NIC firmware for ESXi or Windows Server respectivly?

4. If I want a pure Ubuntu Server och Debian installation, must I first install Windows Server, then apply a support pack?

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Vktor
Frequent Advisor
Solution

h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_9ed665a89aba447d925937f38b

Smart Update Firmware DVD

h20564.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?swItemId=MTX_948972949139480992fcb5b558

[Moderator edit: The above links are no longer valid. Please refer to https://support.hpe.com/]

ecceman
Occasional Visitor

Thanks, it worked to boot from the Firmware image and do an auto update.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Smart Update Firmware DVD is from 2012!

you need SPP:

https://support.hpe.com/connect/s/search?language=en_US#q=SPP&t=DriversandSoftware&sort=relevancy&numberOfResults=25

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken link]

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!