ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752289 Members
4391 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: How does the Dell 2950’s compare to the HP Proliant DL380’s?

Dallas Plummer

How does the Dell 2950’s compare to the HP Proliant DL380’s?

Im asking because my research tells me that the HP Proliant series are more stable than the Dell 2950s? Any directions?
5 REPLIES 5
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Well, neither one can run HP-UX, so I'm not sure you're going to get a whole lot of help from this particular forum.

I can say though that I am running SuSE Linux on several DL380s and they are running great! I have no experience with the Dell 2950s.
Dallas Plummer

Thanks for your timely response. Since I appear to be in the wrong area of the forum, how do I move this thread or should I just close it and search for the proper place to put my query?
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

I put in a request to re-categorize to Proliant HW Forum.

IT resource center forums > Your questions regarding ITRC Forums > general

You should get more responses there.

Good luck.

T.

Dallas Plummer

thank you very much
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Personally I prefer ProLiants.

From a performance side of things, I doubt there's much in it. Both vendors offer similar spec. processors etc.

I've not used the most recent DL380s or 2950s, however I used to manage a fair few DL380 G3/G4s and PowerEdge 2650/2750s.

The build quality / design of the ProLiants is much better than Dell, in my opinion.

From a stability side of things, I'd slightly favour HP, altough I can recall fairly serious issues with both vendors, that knocked machines out for fair amounts of time.

The one thing that swings it for me though, is that Dell still don't offer their management interface (DRAC) as a standard part, whereas iLO on HP has been standard for a long time now. When things do go wrong, this is invaluable.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Rob